Author Topic: How to recover suede feet  (Read 12076 times)

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
Re: How to recover suede feet
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »
After getting a nice North Gallion in fine condition other than paint on all 4 feet, I then discovered that the above jig for a 302 could work but was not right for a Gallion. Slightly different side and the North feet are higher, thicker than a 302's feet. As such, came up with this, and am posting this in case any new members may want to read everything above and try this for themselves.

Took a painted foot (1A) and cut a jig with my router into a section of a fir 2x4 (1B). The North foot with its original covering fits nicely (1C). They drew an outline about 3/8" larger around the jig (1D).

Used and "O" ring removal tool (2A) to pry up on the inside part of the foot (2B) to remove it (2C) exposing the original covering (2D) ending up with the 3 foot components (2E).

Cut a piece of clear plastic into the shape of the cover outline (3A) and then made another one (3B) putting painters tape on both which helps hold the suede between them (3C) when cutting out the new cover (3D).

Placed the new cover inside the jig outline (4A). Unlike a 302 foot, the North feet do not have felt padding between the metal foot and the suede. Placed the inside component in the center (4B) and pressed down (4C) checking to see that the amount of suede that came up was even all around the outside component. Bent the excess into the outer component and placed the inside component on top of the curved over suede. Using a small, flat tool, I made sure all of the curved over suede was even all around - no bunching and under the inside component (4D). Then, using a piece of soft wood and a tack hammer (4E), I gently tapped the inside component evenly setting it into place and trapping and tightening the suede around the foot. Once seated, full insertion of the inside component can be done using a vice, vice grips, pliers or clamp by putting the foot between two pieces of wood and applying pressure until the inside component is fully seated. You will note in photo 2E, the original North cover was cut out on the inside edges leaving more room for the inserted piece. Since I did not duplicate that, my new covering had more material inside the foot and as such the inside piece was just a bit higher than the original piece after full compression. Once mounted, the different is near impossible to detect.

I used a short piece of brass tubing with one ended sharpened (5A) to drill through the suede from the inside (5B) to create a hole for the foot screw (5C). The screw was inserted (5D), the foot attached to the North base (5E) and a brush was used to clean sawdust off of the suede and to loosen up the suede that was compressed during the assembly above. Picture 5E shows the newly recovered foot and one to be done, covered with grey paint.

xzzx-Recover Suede Feet-xzzx
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:48:51 PM by TelePlay »
            John . . .

Offline Dennis Markham

• VintageRotaryPhones.com
  • Administrator
    • VintageRotaryPhones.com
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »
Very nice, John.  That was a lot of work.  Just documenting each step and setting up the photos must have taken quite a while.  Thank you for sharing this.  The finished product looks awesome.

Offline jludtxs

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 01:54:41 AM »
you can get suede very cheap on ebay- just search suede scraps and there are a ton of listings for odd cut pieces.

Offline Babybearjs

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »
Remember, the feet are the same as the 302's... except the screw stays on top, it doesn't mount from underneath.... (no hole through the suede)
John

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »
Remember, the feet are the same as the 302's... except the screw stays on top, it doesn't mount from underneath.... (no hole through the suede)

Well, that's not what I found out when recovering the Gallion. Same process but not the same shape. I have a different jig for 302 feet. The North Gallion feet are a bit different in size and shape. At least, that's what's I found out.

If you look at the wood jig I use for the 302 feet and the Gallion jig, you can see the difference. Slight, but there is a difference that does not make them interchangeable. The Gallion feet are shaped like a piece of pie with curved sides and round points and the 302 feet are triangular with straight sides and rounded points.

And, yes, no hole through the 302 feet
            John . . .