News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with an AE dial in a WE phone

Started by j.bridwell, March 30, 2009, 09:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j.bridwell

Although I have seen photos identifying the connections on an AE, mine appears to have an extra connection.  Attached is a photo where I think the corresponding WE connections are.  I still need one short jumper, but can someone ID the two question marks?  And possibly there should be a connector between ?2 and BK.  Not sure.  Maybe I have reversed ?1 and W.

As long as I have the connectors correctly ID'd, I believe I can continue to  rewire according to the WE202 diagrams.

Any help appreciated.

Steve K

I replied to a post about a month ago on how to use an AE dial on a WE phone but I do not remember where it is on the forum.  Two of those terminal are supposed to be tied together but I am not at home now to check.  I think it is what you have marked as BK and ?2.

Steve

j.bridwell

Steve,
I read your previous post yesterday, but initially noticed only five connectors (I blame my bifocals).  You did confirm a bridge between ?2 and BK and I think I correctly ID'd the other positions.  If I did follow your description correctly, then all is correct (with ?2 and BK connected) and ?1 is not used.
Thanks,
Philip

Dennis Markham

Here is a stab in the dark.  This first link:

http://telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/ae24.pdf

is a diagram showing the transposition of terminals for an AE type 24 dial dial.  You will also see the srap in the photo which is between your marked dial "BK" and "?2".  What I mean is that the dial connections are labeled similarly to a Western Electric dial, then I am assuming that the dial can be connected using a  W.E. Diagram for a W.E. phone.   Here is one Bingster provided on another posting.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=412.0

So the way I'm thinking, once you mark your AE Dial as per the diagram then you can wire it according to Bingster's W.E. instructions.  I have never tried this but it looks like you wire it according to the terminals from link one, according to the diagram from my provided link #2.  It may be worth a try.  There may be a question as to whether or not you're wiring for side tone (3 conductor mounting cord) or anti side-tone (4 conductor mounting cord).

Dennis Markham

After I walked away from the computer I realized that you never said you were putting this dial into a W.E. phone.  I just was thinking based upon your photo which to me looks like a W.E. phone.  So if the dial is NOT in a W.E. phone........never mind.  :)

Here is the link to the TCI Library Page:

http://telephonecollectors.org/library/

It is often very helpful.

BDM

That's a W.E. phone. Looks to be a B1 mount
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Ellen

Gosh, Bridwell, those are such beautiful wires you have there.  They are so new and crispy-looking.  Mine are all dirt-colored.  How much easier (haha) it must be!

j.bridwell

Unfortunately, the new wires make it no easier.  :)  I think my best bet may be to find a WE 5H dial.  But I don't know enough to know what phones used a compatible dial.  Wasn't sure if I could rob one from only 202's or from 302's as well.  If only I had more hours in a day!  This is my first phone.  BTW, it is a B1 base and connected to an anti-sidetone 684A.

Steve K

Philip:

Looking at your picture again I think that BB (not BK) is connected to ?2.  There should still be 5 connections to the AE dial.  From your picture you need to have some jumpers from the hook switch to the dial.  If you use a WE dial anyone should work, at least anything earlier than a 500 dial.

Steve

bingster

Quote from: j.bridwell on March 30, 2009, 01:01:32 PMI think my best bet may be to find a WE 5H dial.  But I don't know enough to know what phones used a compatible dial.  Wasn't sure if I could rob one from only 202's or from 302's as well.  If only I had more hours in a day!  This is my first phone.  BTW, it is a B1 base and connected to an anti-sidetone 684A.
All 3" WE dials are compatible and interchangeable.  You could use any 2, 4, 5, or 6 dial in the phone with no trouble.  A compatible dial could come from any dial candlestick, 102, 202, or 302.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

j.birdwell is your white wire attached to a side terminal?  I can't see where it's attached because of the label sticker.  Are there 6 terminals there, unlike the example I showed in the #1 link above?  It looks like you're almost there with wiring the dial according to a W.E. wiring diagram if you strap BK with the terminal below and to the right of it.  But if you have 6 terminals then it's obviously a different A.E. dial.

With regard to putting  a Western dial in your B1, as Bingster said any of the 3 inch dials will work.  I think you'd be happier with at least a #4 or earlier (#2) with that B1 mount---for the sound of the dial and also the authenticity of the time period of a B1.  Just my 2 cents worth.

j.bridwell

Dennis,
I found a #4 dial.  I'll let you know how it goes when it's installed.
Thanks!
Philip

Dennis Markham

Philip, I will look forward to seeing your "new" phone with the #4 dial.