News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Thermoplastic Manual 302 10/15/42

Started by Doug Rose, January 26, 2013, 03:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I came across a very earl WE thermoplastic manual 302 dated 10/15/42. The last metal 302 WE made were in the first quarter of 1942. There were some refurbed metal case in 1946 after the War ended, but production ended in first quarter 1942.

This 302 is One of the first thermoplastic phones. Line cord was cut and it looks like a 500 handset cord, but I'm not touching it. Wiped it off and it rings and conversation is loud and clear!! Shell is clearly marked 1015 42, base and ringer are marked 10/42 and the coil is IV 42. Transmitter is 6/42 and the receiver is 5/28/42. This phone is over SEVENTY years old. $100 with free shipping in the US....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

few more pics...very clean inside....SC  758P stamped in orange vermillion on bootom of phone.
Kidphone

Tom B

Nice phone Doug. I have a 10/42 thermoplastic 302 with the signal corps marking on the base like yours.
Tom

Babybearjs

nice phone, just like mine... take care of it!
John

poplar1

Doug, I guess we will have to agree to disagree about the 1946 metal housings. The ones I have seen on 1946 sets with all matching dates (and one black gong and one brass) appear to have original paint, and there are 3 concentric Cs stamped in the inside of the housing. I have not seen the Cs on the 1937-1941 metal housings.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

Doug,

Bee-yoo-tee-ful phone!! It looks almost NOS.

Date-wise, it is just slightly a younger sibling to my 2/42, perhaps a very late metal?? Mine has no case date that I could see tonight, but base, ringer, etc., indicate 2/42. Have to pull the caps and see about the elements, etc.

Congratulations!!! I'd love to have one, (or more), blanked 302's for extensions, in as-removed-from-service condition.

Enjoy your new telephone, and best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on January 26, 2013, 06:33:25 PM
Doug, I guess we will have to agree to disagree about the 1946 metal housings. The ones I have seen on 1946 sets with all matching dates (and one black gong and one brass) appear to have original paint, and there are 3 concentric Cs stamped in the inside of the housing. I have not seen the Cs on the 1937-1941 metal housings.
David....I have a couple of metal phones in box for if I ever decide to get something painted. Not good enough to display or sell in its painted removed condition, but I didn't want to part it out. It is dated 9/46 throughout including the cloth cords. Black and brass gongs. I couldn't find any concave C's. I just thought someone put a metal shell on a 9/46 base. Now...I don't know what to think. I just can't imagine WE making metal shells after the war for a short period of time. ...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

The 10/15/42 Thermoplastic has been sold.

The metal is for sale if interested.....Doug
Kidphone