Author Topic: What does the "S" mean in this date  (Read 752 times)

Offline Doug Rose

• Blondie & the Kid of Phone
What does the "S" mean in this date
« on: February 16, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »
I am selling this phone on eBay and have sold a few before with the S before the date. I just received a question about the S. What does it mean?...thanks...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300862766589
Kidphone

Offline Gilas

Re: What does the "S" mean in this date
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »
I have gotten a couple of those as well and they are all either 45 or 46.  Hold it up to the light and see if you can see purple.  The two that I had you could and did not look like the other ones when held up.  The others were solid black while the "S" ones had that indigo tint to them.

Offline AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925

Offline K1WI

• SL3-official96
Re: What does the "S" mean in this date
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
Doug ,
  When I was a kid ( a while back) I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived in Bellville NJ . My uncle made molds for plastic products. He was a part time employee for BOTH Western Electric and Lionel Electric Trains. I have a 302 that he made on my birthday in 1946 it has the "S" prefix . I do not not know if it is factual or if I'm correct , but I always assumed it was an indicator of where the factory he worked in was located.....Succasunna , NJ.
   Maybe there is someone out there that knows the facts.  By the way the 302 he made for me , which I still have , it's a very golden ivory color ...it was made that way not aged .
   Sorry I can't ask My uncle as he is long gone.

\

Good luck  . nice phone
             ANDY F   K1WI

PS    I do know that Succasunna had a long time involvement with the Bell Sytem  ESS SERIAL #1 was in Succassauna.  This might have been a temporary production line as until 1947 WE plants were only in Hawthorne ,Kearny ,and Baltimore.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:49:04 PM by K1WI »
Andy F    K1WI