News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What are your Favorite Cars???

Started by Bill Cahill, April 17, 2009, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

Nice rides Tom! I like the squad car, my uncle just bought the same car different color from a sheriff in the Midwest somewhere. My cousin used to run one of the older squad cars, a Caprice I think it was. That car had some power man. That was from when the auctioned off their last series of squad cars and brought in the newer ones.

Dennis Markham

I used to drive one for a living.  They take a lot of abuse.  In a smaller community the engines have many more miles on them than the odometers...a lot of idle time.  Lots of braking, turning, shifting, etc.  Not to mention what often takes place in the back seat.  Drunks heaving,  people that have to use the bathroom really bad...(use your imagination).....The first thing I'd do is take it to the quarter car wash and spray down the inside...with lots of hot water!  :)

We always looked suspiciously at young guys (it's always a guy)  that bought them and drove around in a car that "looked' like the police.   Hmmmmmmmmmm

Cab companies like to buy them and paint them yellow.  A company in Chicago often came to our auctions for the old cars.  They'd often get a decent car for a low price.

foots

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on March 11, 2010, 03:38:44 AM
Thank you, and I spent 3,300 on all three put together LOL

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?  ???   Wow, you northern folks get some great deals.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

AET

The ironic thing is we always say the southern folks get all the deals.  I bought the Vic for 2000 from my dad.  I bought the Buick for 500 from my best friend.  And I bought the 63 from a guy for 800 bucks who wanted to trade me for my old vic years ago and decided he wanted me to just have the car for just what he had into it, not including buying the car. 

The cop car was a higher ranking car, actually has a cloth rear seat.  It has plastic floors and I like that, easy to clean.  It has new tires, brakes, ball joints, alignment, intake, and hoses. Has led chasers in the front and rear windows, spotlight, ticket light, and of course the push bar.  I love these cars because they're powerful, reliable, and roomy.  And a lot of  young guys do drive them to look like cops including me.  A lot of guys in town do, even a couple at work.  I'm going to advertise for the gun store on it.  Our logo is a sheriff's star, which I'm putting on each door, and the rear quarters are going to say "Your Friendly Local Machine-Gun Dealer". 

I had a Crown Vic before, it was a Michigan State Police Car, and then a Chicago Checker Cab.  It was uglier than sin, but it was a 2003 and was 1900 bucks.  Newest car I ever had.

Quote from: foots on March 11, 2010, 10:05:42 PM
Quote from: AtomicEraTom on March 11, 2010, 03:38:44 AM
Thank you, and I spent 3,300 on all three put together LOL

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?  ???   Wow, you northern folks get some great deals.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 11, 2010, 04:09:48 PM
I used to drive one for a living.  They take a lot of abuse.  In a smaller community the engines have many more miles on them than the odometers...a lot of idle time.  Lots of braking, turning, shifting, etc.  Not to mention what often takes place in the back seat.  Drunks heaving,  people that have to use the bathroom really bad...(use your imagination).....The first thing I'd do is take it to the quarter car wash and spray down the inside...with lots of hot water!  :)

We always looked suspiciously at young guys (it's always a guy)  that bought them and drove around in a car that "looked' like the police.   Hmmmmmmmmmm

Cab companies like to buy them and paint them yellow.  A company in Chicago often came to our auctions for the old cars.  They'd often get a decent car for a low price.
- Tom

Jim Stettler

I have always loved the 1965-66 Mustangs. The Mustang came out when I was 3 and I always was able to recognize one when I was little.
I owned a 1965 and a 1966. The 66 was built a little better.

I have seen one recently that was a 1966 convertable with 1965 trim (frt clip, side chrome and gascap)and aftermarket pony interior and rear GT package. It had the 66 console and runner strips. About the only things I would TRY to add was a pony steering wheel (Holy Grail) and GT light bars and exhaust tips.(GT sheild would be cool)

I was really tempted to wait and tell the owner how much I liked the car and describe his customizations to him. Of course it was classic red w/ white interior/top

I bet his parts supplier was the same guy I used 30 years ago. Back then Marco had 2 parts cars, a file of every old Mustang in a CO junkyard and a couple of parts catalog, He operated out of his front yard and would organize Mustang runs 2x a year. His passion built a nice niche business/lifestyle for him.

On the subject of nicknames I used to be called "Stang" and "Stang-Head"
My 10 minute college "english" speech turned into a 25 minute speech and Q/A session. (only reason I passed the course).

Jim aka "Stang"
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Wallphone

Craig T

Now that is cool looking, can't wait for those to go up for auction in  15 years  :)

McHeath

If you put a star on the door of an ex police car out here you would end up in some trouble, that looks too much like an in service police car and you would be forced to remove it.  Old school buses are even supposed to be painted in a different color scheme than the traditional yellow/black so they no longer can be mistaken for in service buses. 

I did a couple of years as a community service officer way back in the late 80's and got to drive the old cars that no one else wanted at that time.  One was a late 70's Malibu, and the other an early 80's Caprice, both were worn worn worn out, they were the oldest cars on the force and kept around for the CSOs to use for our errands and patrols.  The Malibu had a fiberglass back seat that could be hosed off, yum. :P  The dept was buying dodges at that time, late 80's, they tended to not like the traditional Caprice/Crown Vics' that most depts were using then.  All the cars were rode hard and put up wet, their lifespans were pretty short and when we were done with them there was not much left.   

Jim Stettler

A couple of years ago (2008?). our local police department sent all their old cop cars to the dealer and had them thouroughly rebuilt. This was due to budget shortages to buy new cars.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AET

The star would be legal as it's the corporate logo for our business (Dixie Law Enforcement Warehouse).  I think that the new Ford Interceptor is a bad idea on their part, as it's based on the taurus, with only a V6 Option. Chevrolet is bringing back the Caprice, rear-wheel drive, and a V8 Platform, which is what the Crown Vic is, and why it is the most popular for not only police, but all service vehicles.  I think it would be a darn shame to retire the Crown Vic.
- Tom

McHeath

Hadn't heard that Chevrolet is going to start making the Caprice in the old setup again.  Many of the local area police have gone to Dodge Charger as it has the traditional layout they favor.  I test drove the new Taurus with their SHO package and it was darned impressive, as was the price!  (44 grand)

Here's a police car you probably won't see in the US anytime soon, but it makes a lot of sense for certain duties around town like what I did.  

Craig T

The parking cops in Lansing run vehicles very similar to that McHeath, they are even a bit smaller. Most of them ride the same couple square city blocks and hand out tickets all day, mostly for parking at a dead meter. It was like $12 if you paid it in the first hour and $30 thereafter.

The hardest part was coming from the country and remembering to put change in a meter every time you went to the post office. Hey, wait that sounds like a business deduction I missed  :) Cool post office though the capital building is across the adjacent street.

Our capital building in Michigan (Lansing) was designed by the same guy who did the White House. The top of it looks the same as the White House. I never took a pic of it even though I walked by it hundreds of times  :-\  Here is one from the web...

http://tinyurl.com/yflolje

AET

Well, my dad's talking about buying me a car, but I don't know which to pick. 

He gave me three Choices

A 1966 Chevy Caprice Wagon, tan with woodie trim, 396 and a TH400 trans, just as his first car was.

A white and black 60 Impala, just like grandpa had.

Or a 59 Caddy, of course a fleetwood, go big or go home.

- Tom

JorgeAmely

Tom:

I would go for the red car. Looks like a chicks magnet.  ;)
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Jorge, I'm still laughing at that one.  I like the white Impala...2 door.  That could be a chicks magnet too!