News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W 48 (German telephone)

Started by dsk, March 10, 2013, 05:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

W 48 has been made by a number of makers, based on the approved Siemens design. The W48 was approved by German Post in 1948, and has been made more or less unchanged for decades. Bakelite may have been replased by other modern materials, the dial has changed, a varistor across the receiver has come, but no great changes.

The telephone works on e.g. North American, UK, Norwegian, German and many other systems.
Still some changes has to be done if you want to cope with local regulations. I t usually works without changes.  The phone is made for relatively short lines with small voltage drop. This makes it good for the most of us. (se note on the translated diagram)

The German ringer system is based on about 20Hz at 60V, with non biased ringers, this makes the ringers tinkle, and may have a great REN load. Again it may still work fine!
It seems like we cant agree about adding capacitors or resistors to the ringer circuit so it will be the choice of yours if you want to change it.  Again Ill ask you to look at the translated diagram.

Here it is, and feel free to distribute as you want.

dsk

dsk

Maybe even a picture of this type of telephone should be in the thread.

The design is so equal to other German telephones so I have to admit, I'm not able to tell the difference between this and e.g. modell 36.

RB