News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question about programming a Panasonic KX-T61610

Started by MaximRecoil, March 10, 2024, 12:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

Is one of the proprietary Panasonic phones (e.g., KX-T7030) absolutely required for programming, or is it only required for more advanced programming?

I ordered a 616 without a proprietary phone to go with it (it hasn't arrived yet) and know pretty much nothing about them nor about PBXs in general. The only thing I want it for is to use it when I try to program my Protel 8000 payphone chassis. The only thing I need it to do is allow two modems (the one connected to my PC and the one built into the payphone chassis) to be able to call and communicate with each other.

I'm wondering if I need to do any programming at all. With the 616's factory default programming, does it have default phone numbers assigned to each of the 16 extension jacks? If so, I would just need to know what the default phone numbers are, and then I could have the two modems call each other, is that right?

From what others post on here I believe it will work for you in default programing.
See this thread
https://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16290.0
Make sure you use only 1 pair RJ11 cable from the PBX, as the 2nd pair is serial data for the Panasonic phones.

MaximRecoil

How do I find out what the default phone numbers are for each of the 616's extensions?

I plan to have my payphone call my PC (since I've read that it's more reliable that way than the other way around, if using a non-Protel modem with your PC like I am), but I need to input the PC's modem's phone number into the payphone in order for that to happen (step number 3 in the instructions below).

TelePlay

This topic lists programming and non-programming phones.

https://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16290.0

You absolutely must have a programming phone (has a digital display and a switch on the back to change it from normal to programming mode and back to normal.

It must be plugged into the first local port.

The manuals are also attached to topics in that board.

The 308 or 616 will work just fine in their default mode. If the PBX you get has been programmed (which most likely won't be with settings you want to use), simply unplug the AC power and remove the battery. Wait a few minutes. Plug it in and turn it one, that will bootstrap it to default settings. Then put the battery back in, if it has one.

This topic has many replies that talk about the battery:

https://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13471.msg179920#msg179920

TelePlay

Quote from: MaximRecoil on March 10, 2024, 02:38:57 PMHow do I find out what the default phone numbers are for each of the 616's extensions?

From left to right: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 for the 616.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: TelePlay on March 10, 2024, 02:43:39 PMYou absolutely must have a programming phone (has a digital display and a switch on the back to change it from normal to programming mode and back to normal.

It must be plugged into the first local port.

Is that a requirement only if you want to program it, or is it a requirement for the 616 to function at all?

QuoteFrom left to right: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 for the 616.

Thank you.

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on March 10, 2024, 02:46:02 PMFrom left to right: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 for the 616.

These are the internal PBX default extension port numbers.

You'll have to read through the 616 programming to see if other numbers can be assigned to each port. I really can't think of anyone on the forum who has actually programmed a 616. Most use it in its default modes.

If it can, and if you do assign different numbers to the ports, please post the "how to" here or in a new topic.

MaximRecoil

The Panasonic 616 worked as-is with its default programming and I successfully programmed my payphone using it to simulate two phone lines (details here).