Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

My Navy with AE push to talk in black...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

bare metal
Kidphone

Gilas

I think I like the painted one better.    Did you touch up the painted one at all?  Also does yours have any other emblems on it?  Mine has the Puget Sound one on the end of the base.  I'll see if I can get pics up.  Won't let as good as yours I have done nothing with mine yet.

Gilas

I found more about the "restored by Puget Sound Naval Shipyard" tag on mine.  According to a website about the shipyard, "During World War II (1941-1945), the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard's primary mission was the repair of Pacific Fleet warships damaged in battle."  Kinda cool.  The 1941 date inside the phone would correspond to that.  Would be great to be able to figure out what ship etc.

Doug Rose

Quote from: lowrey340 on June 02, 2012, 04:06:57 PM
I think I like the painted one better.    Did you touch up the painted one at all?  Also does yours have any other emblems on it?  Mine has the Puget Sound one on the end of the base.  I'll see if I can get pics up.  Won't let as good as yours I have done nothing with mine yet.
No touch up on the black one. As found. IMHO just a very cool design. You don't see them very often. The rubber is still great on both....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I found this AE40 with what looks to be factory locking for the handset. New gray cloth cords were already on the set. I just put a new rubber gasket on the bottom. This sure is a beauty. Frequncy ringer, but it gives a beautiful ring. I love the design of the AE 40, one of my favorite sets. Any info in the handset lock is appreciated.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

few more pics
Kidphone

AE40FAN

I love AE40s (obviously)...the condition on yours is amazing!  Even the carry bar seems to be free of chips.

teka-bb

Beautiful phone Doug, thanks for sharing.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

stub

Doug Rose ,
         Nice find!!!!!! I haven't seen these springs on a 40 before. I have a AE 50 with the springs to hold the handset. I was told that the phones were used on ships and trains. Maybe Terry and poplar1 will know more..   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Aren't the handset locks used for ships?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Yes this is a different version of a ships AE40. Different than the 40 with the super heavy duty handset locking hardware. I think these are for ships where as the other version is for military applications. I have seen this variety once or twice before but I don't have one. Like Stub, I do have an AE50 with this handset lock arrangement though.

Terry

paul-f

Steve Hilsz wrote an article for Singing Wires in March 1995 that identified several versions of AE shipboard phones.

The one that looks like an AE40 with the heavy handset clamps is designated Type A.  I posted some of the various ID Plates that were affixed to some on Collector's Weekly:
   http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/169-ae-40-ship-phone-info-plates?in=user

Some are clearly identified for shipboard use.

I believe the version with the smaller clips (like Doug's) is a different variation of a Type A set.

Type B includes the AE50 with similar small clips and a larger panel-style set.

There are other versions up to at least Type F.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Here's another version I found:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Yes that is the one I refered to as "Heavy Duty"! That one would keep the receiver on hook on the "Poesidon".

Terry