Telephone Switching > Key Systems (Electronic, 1A2 etc)

NE 6041QAA restoration

<< < (3/3)

5415551212:
Well the thin rubber bike inner-tube works great.
I like it becasue rubber is a good insulator and it has some give like the foam.
a 7/16 - 1/2" long 8-32 screw and nut should be good to replace the rivets.
I had to play around with it a few times to get good spacing.
I only have one other key phone and the foam in that key set is disintegrating also but the contacts are still looking good for now, so ill probably be doing this again soon.
Cheers all

Babybearjs:
Interesting. I've never run across any of these with a foam insulator. all of the ones I have don't use the foam... based on that, I wouldn't be really worried about replacing it. hope you get it working...

5415551212:

--- Quote from: Babybearjs on August 11, 2021, 06:46:44 PM ---Interesting. I've never run across any of these with a foam insulator. all of the ones I have don't use the foam...

--- End quote ---
I have not seen any WE key phones that use another type of insulator. Its hard to see unless you take the key unit out or look closely from the side.
Post a picture of what else they used as a spacer if you have one disassembled? I would be curious to see what else they used.

--- Quote from: Babybearjs on August 11, 2021, 06:46:44 PM ---based on that, I wouldn't be really worried about replacing it.

--- End quote ---
Each button closes 3 contacts, the one circled in red in this photo had lost its foam and was always shorted. The other two worked. So you could get odd issues.

The unit is re assembled and all the buttons and / contacts work as they are supposed to now.

Key2871:
Well I've been working on and with key phones for the better part of 40 years, I've never seen a 636A key with out foam insulating the layers of switches.
The older they get the more they tend to deteriorate, and this can perhaps make it difficult to see the foam.

But that is indeed what I've seen, be it Western, Northern, or ITT. They were all built the same, rivits were different but that's about the only difference.

I have not worked on SC or AE key sets so I can't be 100 percent, but I'd think they too were also foam.

Yes the key operates three sets of contacts, the middle actually setting first as there is a slight high spot on the key actuator.

But when I first d
Started working on key sets I worked on were Western.
And the second were ITT sets, 2564, 564 and 830, and 2830. Everything for the most part on these sets were just about all the same thing.
The only thing different with ITT keys on 830/2830 sets was the way the lock pin screw was removed from the key for signaling, it came out clock wise instead of CCW as Western are.

So John, what did you see as insulators in your key sets?
I never thought about using innertube for a insulator replacement. But hey, as long as it works. Good job.
It's nice to see others finding ways of keeping these sets going.

5415551212:
Thanks for that info Ken

--- Quote from: Key2871 on August 16, 2021, 01:09:27 PM ---I never thought about using innertube for a insulator replacement. But hey, as long as it works. Good job.
It's nice to see others finding ways of keeping these sets going.

--- End quote ---
Thanks yeah, my co worker uses them for everything, I never would have though of it.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version