Telephone Switching > Key Systems (Electronic, 1A2 etc)

NE 6041QAA restoration

<< < (2/3) > >>

5415551212:
After looking around and at the I am going to try some layers of used bike inner-tube.
A coworker of mines uses them for everything.
The rubber will be a good insulator and has lots of give.
I can add or subtract layers easily.
Stay tuned.

Key2871:
Well if it doesn't work out I have several if the 636A keys. So if you want any, I might have some.
Look under for sale from me you'll find them.
The picture shoes no buttons but I do have those for the keys, Cables too for connection.
I'll make you a good deal.

5415551212:
Thanks Ken!
This is mostly just for the experience of tinkering around at this point.
Seems like these foam pads are the dumpster sentence for key units so seems like it would be wise to document how to replace the foam.

Jim Stettler:

--- Quote from: 5415551212 on August 03, 2021, 06:58:07 PM ---Thanks Ken!
This is mostly just for the experience of tinkering around at this point.
Seems like these foam pads are the dumpster sentence for key units so seems like it would be wise to document how to replace the foam.

--- End quote ---

long shot: The foam is spec'ed in a document somewhere.

The spec  would be in design documents. and maybe the practice.

Practices should show part #'s  for the foam. the part # is the best key for the search.
Just my opinion
Jim

Key2871:
Obviously those units have a life span of a good long time. Thing is a lot of these units are out living that life.
I'm sure when they were designed they said these will out live the service of the equipment, as in a newer better system will be in use long before those sets would actually be used.

And for the most part they were correct, I'm just not sure they were considering collectors still using this equipment long after the fad lasted.
I've never seen any information on replacing the things such as foam pad in keys.

I've read several BSPs that say when a product fails send it back to Western Electric for repair.
Or remove the faulty component and replace.
In this case it would be the entire key unit, and they would wire in a new 6041 and be done.

Personally I like these old units better than the newer stuff. I've had many but 1A2 is still a strong useful equipment. That may just out live some EKS equipment.

I had merlins liked the features as long as the feature pack worked. But if that failed, well it's just not great.
Where 1A2 is just still chugging away like a well maintained locomotive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version