News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Added rotary dial to candel stick phone

Started by long jumper, September 07, 2021, 08:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

long jumper

I just added a rotary dial to my We 1040 Al phone. But when dialing I get a lot of loud popping  in receiver. Will this harm the receiver? What can I do to correct this.I new to this forum.any help appreciated

TelePlay

Are you using a subset?

Can you post photos of the phone, exterior and interior?

RB

Welcome fellow phone problem fighter!
Your problem is common, and there are ways to diminish the pop sound.
More info is needed, then folks who have experienced the same annoyance you are having, can offer solutions
to your dilemma.
Most of the issue is with the receiver, it needs to be shorted, or opened while dialing to kill the pops.
The dial wiring is probably the most common solution and there are a few different ways to do it.
As Teleplay suggested, post some good close up photos of your wiring, and the help will begin
Cheers, and Beers! ;)

MMikeJBenN27

If you are not using this with a subset, you need to do so, as you need the induction coil.  An alternative is to put a mini network inside of it.  You CAN NOT use these without a subset or mini network.  Doing so can de-magnetize the receiver, and might even weld the dial contacts together.

Mike

poplar1

Are you hearing a series of clicks, for example 7 clicks when you dial a 7, or just a click at the beginning and end of each number dialed? Either way, there is risk of ear damage from"acoustic shock" when phone is  hot wired without a subset
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

long jumper

Thanks for all your tips my nephew made a very  nice case for the rotary dial . This candle stick phone has a subset with ringer and works good. I will post some pics. There are nor enough  terminals to land all the wires inside the tube. I got rotary dial to work but dont want to re work interior  wiring.again I will send pics

poplar1

If you don't want to rewire the phone, you could use the dial pulsing contact springs (Y and BK on a Western Electric 4H, 5H, or 6A dial) to interrupt one side of the line before the line connects to L2 of the subset. (Connect the (green) line to Y on the dial, and connect BK on the dial to L2 of the subset.)

Then connect the other side of the line (red) to L1 in the subset. Connect L1 terminal  to R screw terminal on a WE 4H, 5H, or 6A dial. This will short the phone so you don't hear the dial pulses.

The 1040AL connects to a 534A subset as folliws:

Green to GN
Red to R
Yellow to L2-Y

long jumper

Thanks for info I will follow instructions. I am using automatic electric dial but dont know where to land third wire on dial.I will post photo

poplar1

You could try strapping the 2nd terminal from bottom in photo to the 3rd, and connecting the other side of line (the side not opened by the pulsing contacts 1 and 2) to the 4th terminal.

Or use the 5 and 6 terminals to open the receiver -- GN. terminal of subset to 5, and green of cord going to phone to 6, if phone has original wiring. I haven't tried this at home.

Original wiring of 1020AL or 1040AL inside the phone:

Green receiver wire connects to green wiee from subset. One transmitter wire to yellow wire from subset

Red wire from subset to hookswitch. Other transmitter wire to hookswitch. White receiver wire to hookswitch.

MMikeJBenN27

You might have better luck using a Western Electric dial.

Mike

long jumper

Thanks for all your help everything you suggested worked very well. Show some pics. I used green and red to switch green wire to terminals 5 + 6 on dial no loud popping at all. This sub set is a 634A