News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Color Restoration - Pink 58 WE faded handset Cord

Started by Dan/Panther, June 20, 2009, 08:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Thank you Dix, I enjoy experimenting around.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dixon Hall

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 21, 2013, 07:27:25 PM
Thank you Dix, I enjoy experimenting around.
D/P

To quote Rick Blaine, "We all try.  You succeed."

Hat's off to you.

Dix

Dan/Panther

jludtxs

will this process work to dye white or off white cord? I want to put a very long line cord on an old phone and can not find any long cords in pink and 5 conductor. I have some new line cord used to do line wiring. If I could dye this pink, I would be thrlled. I want to be able to drag my phone into another room if necessary so I am thinking at least 20ft. If that won't work, there is plenty of pink ethernet cords out there I could cut off the connectors. would cat5e cord work for long lengths?

Dan/Panther

I should turn any white, beige, or faded pink handset cord to the pink color shown. I would also add that with experimentation you can most likely create other colors the same way. It should be a chemical based color, not water based.
Let us know if you come up with any variations.

BTW, this is what the forum is all about. 5 years later, someone is getting help on a project.

D/P

jludtxs

thanks, I probably wouldn't be as interested in old phones if this forum weren't here. I don't keep much interest in things that I can't maintain myself.

Dan/Panther

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: tallguy58 on September 17, 2014, 08:10:57 PM
I love this place. ;D ;D
Who could hate a place like this, where you can comment on a five or six-year-old topic and you immediately get a response back.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jludtxs

What kind of lacquer thinner is right? I see denatured alcohol and acetone both have lacquer thinner on the can.

Dan/Panther

I purchased this Gallon can at Home Depot. It cost me $20.00. But I can use it on several different project.

D/P

jludtxs

thanks!!!  Denatured Alcohol it is.

allnumbedup

Now we are about ten years out and this thread saved the day for me too. I can vouch for the steel red Dykem.  I soaked a fat red cord in ammonia but I must have forgetten I had some Salon Care 40 mixed in it or left it too long because the cord came out a cinnamon color. A few minutes soaked in straight dykem and then a few minutes removing thick dried drips with a rough rag soaked in more dykem and I got a perfect match.  My advice: tape off white internal handset cords thoroughly to protect them from turning pink. Before and after--same plastics, different lighting and camera, only the cord color had been dyed.
Analog Phones for a Digital World

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

kleenax

I have successfully cleaned 100's of colored handset cords by using Ammonia Harry, but NEVER soak them!  Simply run the cordage through an old terry-cloth towel that you hold tightly in your hands that is saturated in straight household ammonia. They will come out like new as long as they aren't drastically faded or stained into the surface of the cord.

For the cost of dye, and time and potential frustration involved, I would just throw a bad cord away and replace it with a new/NOS cord. Just about ALL colors can be had for $10-$15, and you really will only need 1 or 2 unless you are restoring and selling. Not a bad investment for a "proper-looking" collection!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC