News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Which Switchboard?

Started by Fabius, October 22, 2016, 02:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one should I take to the new house?

Kellogg (left)
12 (100%)
Monarch (right)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: November 03, 2016, 02:06:09 PM

Fabius

In our new house I have a room for my telephone stuff. Which switchboard should I bring from the garage for display in my telephone room? Bringing in both is not an option.  Both have the hanging transmitter. Both are complete and will clean up nicely. The one on the left is a Kellogg and the one on the right is a Monarch.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Do you know the manufacturing time of that Kellogg board?   I have a lot of their catalogs, but I don't think I have seen another switch board with those rounded corners desk shelf.  Because of that I would pick that one.
A Monarch board is pretty rare too, though, I think.

Jim Stettler

I think the Kellogg is more interesting and a smaller footprint.
JMO,
JIm S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

For no particular reason I'd say the Kellogg...I agree with Jim s's reasons...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Owain

What are the equipped capacities of them, and how many telephones do you need to connect up for demonstration?

However I think the Kellogg looks in better cosmetic condition and prettier.

compubit

Or get rid of the Coke machine next to it and keep both!  ;-)

I lean toward the Kellog, but hadn't heard of Monarch...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Babybearjs

Use the Kellogg.... it has more "Bells and whistles" to it.... they both need to be cleaned up though....
John

Fabius

Quote from: compubit on October 22, 2016, 07:50:07 PM
Or get rid of the Coke machine next to it and keep both!  ;-)

I lean toward the Kellog, but hadn't heard of Monarch...

Jim

Monarch was bought out by American Electric (I believe) and was located in Dodge City, Iowa.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AE_Collector

Quote from: Owain on October 22, 2016, 04:43:23 PM
What are the equipped capacities of them, and how many telephones do you need to connect up for demonstration?

They both look like Magneto boards so they may not have many phones actually hooked to them for demonstration.

I too think that the Kellogg looks nicer for display.

Terry

Fabius

The Kellogg looks like a 50 line board with 10 trunks. The Monarch has 20 lines and 6 trunks. The Monarch has room to add more lines and trunks while the Kellogg looks maxed out. It's nice that both have their magnetos and cranks.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Does the Monarch board have a company label with the location on it?  Is it Chicago or Fort Dodge ?

Phonesrfun

I based my vote (for Kellogg) that to me the Kellogg represents a far better specimen for display. 
-Bill G

Fabius

Quote from: unbeldi on October 23, 2016, 12:39:08 PM
Does the Monarch board have a company label with the location on it?  Is it Chicago or Fort Dodge ?

The Monarch has a metal name tag and it's Ft Dodge.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on October 23, 2016, 08:11:25 PM
The Monarch has a metal name tag and it's Ft Dodge.

Ah, so that means the board was made after 1913 or so.  I don't know how long Monarch kept their name after merging with American and Automatic.  But initially, when the Gary Company took control in 1920, they expanded their operations under the same name.