"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg switchboard handset questions...and just to share

Started by RB, September 27, 2017, 09:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

I found this handset on ebay.
I have not seen a hook assy like this, and could you tell me what it went to?
and how it was used.

unbeldi

It looks like one of the Type 12C Grabaphone extension sets.  It looks like the coil in the box is an induction coil, not just a retardation coil.  Does it have any type number stamped on it ?  Perhaps type 79 ?

Try reading some type designations off the parts.

PS: these handset also came with several differnet transmitter and receiver elements; you might find designations on those parts too to identify whether this was a common battery or local battery instrument.

RB

Thank you Unbeldi !
I will look closer this evening.
This thing is in great shape, cant wait to see what I can do with it!

RB

I looked closer at the coil, and handset.
the coil has S and P i believe on each end. one is hard to read.
The ends are tied together on the switch end, and separate on the other end. I found no other info stamped on it.
The coil reads 5 ohms on the transmitter side, and about 56 ohms, i believe across the other.
The receiver reads about 460 ohms, and the xmitter floats all over when reading it.
The contact points, are labeled
B
B
S

The second B and the 1 are tied together, and I believe the 3 and 4 are tied also.
The hook switch, is a regular 3 conductor, progressive switch. so, 1 and 2 close first, then 3 is added.
Thats all I know about it so far.
Question: can the transmitter cover be removed for cleaning?
there are 4 hex head bolts around the outside of the cover, and 4 flat head screws on the back side.
I have hurd some transmitters loose the carbon if opened, I know nothing about this, and do not want to destroy it.