"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 1240 Switchboard - Parts Required and a Question

Started by wmactor, June 28, 2019, 08:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmactor

Hi,

I have acquired an NE 1240 magneto switchboard that was removed from a rural Ontario Bell Canada exchange years ago (dates on the parts in the lower section indicate that it is circa 1956).

It is missing some components, and I'm looking for a source of parts to complete it. 

Specifically, I'm looking for 9 5-position drop modules (27-C drops) or blank plates, and the trunk section for the board (or some 56-A trunk drop relays / 49-A lamps and 235-C jacks for interposition trunks to rebuild this section of the board).  These part numbers are from NE Bulletin 101, which I obtained from the PEI Museum website (an excellent website, by the way!)

And a question: this board is equipped with three cords per circuit - every switchboard I have seen has only two cords per position, one for the calling party and one for the called party) - what is the third cord used for?

A photo of the board is attached - any assistance or advice regarding part sources and the function of the 3rd cord would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Wayne

RB

Wow, that is a nice board! congrats, and good luck finding much for it. ebay maybe, sporadic around here anyway.
Don't know why 3 cords per???
could you post a few pics of the insides, cord sets etc...

First off Welcome to the forums.

That's an awesome looking switchboard. I take it that you are in Ontario?

wmactor

Thanks, Duffy!

I am in North York, Ontario.

Regards,

Wayne

Quote from: wmactor on June 28, 2019, 07:38:56 PM
Thanks, Duffy!

I am in North York, Ontario.

Regards,

Wayne

I use to live in North York as a kid. I'm a couple hours east a long the 401 in Belleville now.

wmactor

Hi RB - sure can!  Here are a few more pictures of the board.

Wayne

Quote from: RB on June 28, 2019, 03:35:16 PM
could you post a few pics of the insides, cord sets etc...

RB

I think your Trunk units would be very similar to the station drops, but with different resistance.
Have you tried to contact a few of the telephone museums around?
you may find what your lookin for in the back room of one???

Babybearjs

Good Luck with your restoration. there used to be a source on Ebay a few years ago, but the seller passed. I hope you can find parts for this... none of the sources I know of have any parts... good luck!
John

wmactor

Thanks! 

I have been watching eBay for a few months now...virtually nothing listed for these old C.O. cord boards!

Wayne

Jim Stettler

Would 3 cords be used as conference circuits? like 3 way calling.
WE 555 boards are a lot more valuable with a conference circuit installed.

Just a guess,
Jim
Here is a link for some info. I didn't read it (or even try to access it), but I think sales literature or some of the manuals would explain the 3rd cord.

https://findingaids.library.dal.ca/manual-systems-no-1220-and-1240-switchboard-magneto-telephone-cct

Forum member DAVEPEI has one in his museum. You might want to check and see if he has leads for replacement parts.
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/co.html

Here is a museum that has one that they would like help with. They may of gotten spare parts donated with it.
https://tinyurl.com/yxtv3yqv
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.