News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Drill (finally)

Started by HarrySmith, November 14, 2019, 12:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I just had to purchase a new drill. I had a Makita which I thought was a good brand but it died. I don't understand why, it was only about 30 years old! Anyway, I picked up a nice Dewalt 20 volt brushless & cordless drill with 2 batteries. I have been looking at them but could not push myself to spend $159.00. I spotted it at Lowes on sale for $99.00! I signed up for Lowes online and got a veterans discount, ended up at $94.00!! Good buy in my book.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

I guess you'll like that purchase! Li-ion batteries were a real step forward for cordless tools, especially for hobby (=irregular) use. Ni-Cd was always dead when you needed it, or died from overcharging.
I have a 8 year old Bosch and a 4 year old off-brand drill. Both batteries went weak last winter. I replaced the cells inside the packs, that went well and the new cells are stronger than the original ones ever were! Most any tool uses standard 18650 cells.

HarrySmith

Yeah, the old Makita was dead every time I picked it up for years now. Also once charged they did not last long either, that's why I started looking a little while back and chose this one. Last weekend the Makita quit completely so I had to get one and the timing for the sale was perfect!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Well you got your money's worth from your old drill.
And your new dewalt will last you a good long time too.
That was a fantastic deal. I've been using Ryobi for ten years now, and went from nicad to 'Ll-ion just three years ago, and they work great, I couldn't afford dewalt.
KEN

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 14, 2019, 12:20:19 PM
I signed up for Lowes online and got a veterans discount, ended up at $94.00!! Good buy in my book.

In the military, you probably had many drills :D.

Larry

AT2796

Quote from: countryman on November 14, 2019, 12:53:35 PM
I guess you'll like that purchase! Li-ion batteries were a real step forward for cordless tools, especially for hobby (=irregular) use. Ni-Cd was always dead when you needed it, or died from overcharging.
I have a 8 year old Bosch and a 4 year old off-brand drill. Both batteries went weak last winter. I replaced the cells inside the packs, that went well and the new cells are stronger than the original ones ever were! Most any tool uses standard 18650 cells.

Exactly right!
I have this drill, and cordless impact driver at work. Have had them for at least a year, even with irregular use the batteries are always ready. I use the impact more than the drill, to open/build splice cases. If the impact battery gets low, I'll just pull the drill battery while the impact battery is charging. I just charged 1 battery yesterday, and honestly I can't remember the last time I charged batteries before that.
This drill/battery is in my letter to Santa!
I think you will be happy with your purchase!
Andy

Key2871

The impact driver are great, I just got one a couple weeks ago, glad I did. So much faster driving long screws or bolts.
Does it effortlessly.
KEN

Butch Harlow

DeWalt makes some nice stuff. I have been using Ryobi for a long time, mostly because it's always next to free on black friday and the Lithium ion batteries are as good as anyone's.  Then, the real deciding factor is that I really do not like yellow.
Butch Harlow

Dan/Panther

Harry, did the drill motor fail or the battery no longer holds a charge.
If it's the battery, I don't think I've ever seen any rechargeable battery that lasted 30 years.
I have a corded model Makita that I have had for 30 years that is still running like new.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Yeah, the motor finally died and the chuck was bad too. It had a hard life.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"