News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FABphones' Telephone Workshop Build

Started by FABphones, May 04, 2020, 05:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

COOL! Looks very good. Nice work. will be so convenient to work with.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

That's awesome, you have done very well with the reusing of salvaged pieces.
Good for you!

oldguy

Congratulations on a job well done.
Gary

FABphones

Thank you :). This is a fun project.

Today finished making the last storage unit and started getting the wall items mounted. The two older walls are very crooked. Discovered no 90 deg corner angles in here - one leans in, the other leans out, with a deep curve running completely across one wall left to right and a bow in the wall top to bottom. The building was originally animal housing and whilst plenty good enough for it's job back in the day (200+ years ago) it's tricky to get things lined up.

Had some help drilling through the stone (and to cut the large work surface to size). Big boys toys!

I was hoping to get the three metal drawer handles off for a soak in molasses (keen to try out TelePlay's method) but the screws are well and truly rusted into place.

The pine seat was surplus to requirements in the house. The seat base lifts up so great storage space. Made years ago (not by me) from a Victorian door.

The small 80+ year old pine table was gathering dust in another outbuilding. A car boot sale find years ago, painted in green lead paint.

The shelf unit had a test colour match of wax to blend in the new wood, which looks fine, and is attached to the wall (just resting on the table).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Looking good. Those old building are never straight. But from the looks of things your doing great!
KEN

That's not a workshop, that's a lounge! Job well done!

FABphones

Started moving in today. I forgot ::) to make shelves under the workbench so need to get that done next as need a place to store the phone spares.

Workbench is high enough to stand to work, and a good height to sit. The office chair was a charity shop find. Gas lift, so easy to lower to get closer to the work, instead of bending down. Undecided on what to treat the new wood with so leaving as is for the moment.

Doug Rose

Very nice CJ.....looks professional. My work bench is an old door on a hastily put together bench. I keep loosing stuff where the door knob used to be....congrats!!......Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 26, 2020, 04:25:29 PM
Very nice CJ.....looks professional. My work bench is an old door on a hastily put together bench. I keep loosing stuff where the door knob used to be....congrats!!......Doug

Thanks Doug. Your work bench looks fun to rummage through though.  :)

HarrySmith

WOW1 That looks great! Good job!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

compubit

Looks great! Once I get my basement finished, I promise I'll build a proper bench (rather than the folding table I currently have...).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Key2871

That looks great, nice job. Thanks for sharing.
KEN

If you were a little closer, I would have you come and redesign my garage. :)  It just keeps getting better!

oldguy

That is an amazing workspace, congratulations. The only thing I disagree with is your statement "last storage unit", I'm pretty sure you know by now, there is never enough phone storage 😀😀😷
Gary

Babybearjs

that my work area was so organized...
John