News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a "broken" Leitch

Started by markosjal, December 27, 2020, 05:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Here are some pics in the middle of  restoration project. I previously wrote on these forums about Plasti Loka and using it for plastic repair in Mexico.

As I am now in the USA I bought a product at Hobby Town called "Milliput" that describes itself as "Two Part Epoxy Putty"

So here are some pics of a broken leitch housing part way through repair.

I will probably follow this with black liquid shoe polish and then black rub on shoe polish 

In the first pic...
you can see upper left piece was completely missing. mid/lower left was cracked. rRight upper had a piece completely broken off that was glued then reinforced with milliput.

Not pictured : I also repaired a broken rib on the spit cup of the handset by supporting it from the inside after gluing it.

I have used Plati Loka con WE  AE and other platic housings that were cracked . Glue (from inside) plati loka (from inside) then sand on outside. I am sure this product will work the same.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

FABphones

Quote from: markosjal on December 27, 2020, 05:05:39 AM
...I bought a product at Hobby Town called "Milliput"...

That is coming along nicely, thanks for sharing.

I am a big fan of Milliput. Easy to work with and gives a good firm bond. Unfortunately they don't make it in a cream colour as yet.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RB

Here is a colour chart for Milliput.

countryman

Nice work markosjal!

I've used the yellow-grey Milliput on an ivory phone and painted the repaired patch with RAL 1015 paint. That was a good match. Milliput can be painted easily, a thin coat of paint will do.

markosjal

I saw in Hobby Lobby coloring agents (for clay?) and was wondring if they will work with milliput.

allnumbedup

Analog Phones for a Digital World

FABphones

Quote from: markosjal on December 27, 2020, 01:40:37 PM
I saw in Hobby Lobby coloring agents (for clay?) and was wondring if they will work with milliput.

Quote from: allnumbedup on December 27, 2020, 01:56:06 PM
i am going to try it! thanks JC

I have tried several types of pigment without success. Do let us know exactly what the product is and how you get on.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

markosjal

updated pics after using both kinds of shoe polish.

Contrast is intentionally exagerated but after one more coat I would say I have a 95% match. Not bad for a nearly 100 year old broken phone