News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I make them, and they don't move..........

Started by Babybearjs, April 10, 2021, 02:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

:) thought I'd add this as I have been working on my computers again.... I currently collect, and recycle old computers for people who are looking for a inexpensive system... I only do AMD based systems, as I have had issues with Intel in the past... though I do have a system that's Intel Based. Who else on here likes to take old systems and recycle them for someone else to use?  on my systems, I take the original computer, break it all the way down, clean the chassis and add whatever chassis fans are missing. On the motherboard, I will max out the memory and reassemble the system using multiple DVD drives, (for burning CD's and DVD's) and install as many 1 TB hard drives as the system will handle... I install Windows 10 Pro and whatever other software a person would regularly use... and here's the sticking point.... thanks to smart phones, its almost killed the computer sales, and that's why they don't move....  plus, anything Intel, or AMD based newer then a AM2, or a i5 based system lasts forever.... or so it seems... who else on this forum does this with computers for friends and family?  tinkering with telephones only goes so far..... so who else loves working on computers? Like cars, they all seem to run on used parts....
John

countryman

Thousands if not millions of PC systems that a scrapped could as well be repaired or recycled. In fact the speed of technical progress in this segment has slowed down seriously. I have put Win 10 on a 2008 budget laptop and it ran just fine. It's sitting on the shelf since that time and nobody wants it :-(
Haven't tried selling it, just friends and family.

I remember in the late 1990ies companies started giving used PC to schools. I fixed a couple of them with up-to-date software of the time and soundcards (my then-girlfriend was a teacher ;-) ) . The PC were set up in the classrooms but few of them were ever used wisely.

Babybearjs

its funny... I just repaired another HP Compaq 8000 SFF system for my neighbor. I have a 5750, and a 6005 SFF system, both are old, both are in use and both are running windows 10! I love it when I can take something and make it last so I don't have to go out and buy another one.... Like the dishwasher I just saved... the neighbor was cleaning out another home, and a perfectly good GE dishwasher was in the trash... grabbed it, tore it down and completely cleaned it up... tested the motors and everything checks out fine. all it needs is the drain hose.... amazing how thing are now.... computers won't sell because cell phones do everything and computers are now lasting as long as a dishwasher!  just wish I could sell some of these computers, just put the motherboard from my old system in a new chassis and now have another computer to sell.... what do you think about selling recycled computers for $50.00 each? throw in a flat screen monitor, KB and Mouse.... and someone has a nice computer! thinking of the kids.... students need a computer at home now.... but tablets and laptops seem to dominate!
John