News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 D2993-G desk set, what was it used for?

Started by Witty, June 09, 2021, 09:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

While opening up old boxes I came across this set to work on. It's a 302 38 set, with small plungers and a H1 stamp above the back mouse hole. The body and handset are in excellent condition, only have to clean and polish. The handset internals are also stamped 38.
My question is what was it used for. I'm still looking online for answers but thought maybe some in the forum might have some answers. Maybe Paul-F?
It has a 238-A connector. The yellow cable of the connector is taped off for non use internally.
I'm providing internal pictures so maybe someone can deduce a use for it. It's obvious the bells were removed and not needed for whatever it was used for.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ken

Ken

Jack Ryan

I don't know the answers to your questions but I think the ringer might be missing. There is 50~ written on the bottom so it may have had a 50Hz frequency ringer. The handset is marked 'W' as well implying the phone was used by an independent.

Jack

Doug Rose

Hey Ken...the plug is very cool. Two additional screws where the ringer was could mean it had a different ringer for the independents? Just a guess. I have never seen small plungers on a '38, very cool.

D numbers used to be thought of as trial sets, Paul F will know more....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

D- numbers seem to have been used for several purposes -- possibly changing over the years. Field trial and display sets, and sets with special-order or standard modifications are examples.

The underlying theme seems to be that the item was different in some way from a production set, and was made through modification of standard configurations or addition of parts. Modifications were made to individual customer orders or were standard modifications, made in batches or to a common engineering specification.

Examples of military 300-type sets modified for civilian use following WWII are shown here:
http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#D-173487

This set's number is interesting in that it only uses four digits. Since we haven't found a table of codes used, we're left to examine found sets and try to determine what's different. In this case, the two slotted-head bolts on the ringer mount are obvious additions. As Jack said, the 50~ marking also suggests the ringer is the primary change.

Are there any other dates or markings not shown in your photos? Is there a mounting code stamped in the metal on the outside of the housing above the rear cord hole? Any other parts (including wiring and cords) different than production sets?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

I would hazard a guess that the standard ringer mount was added at some point. The 2 slotted screws & nuts are holding it in. It probably had a different 50 hertz ringer & mount originally. Just a guess, YMMV ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Witty

Thanks to everyone for your input.
I don't remember when I bought this. I'm sure it was about 10-15 years ago, and I was always drawn to things that were a little different.
Here are a few more photos I took. I had noticed the two screws also, and agree they probably held a ringer device at some point. I don't know why anyone would have removed it.
The body has the H1 stamp above the cord mouse hole.
I opened up the condenser clamp. The covering was cracked very bad, from age I suspect. It appears to be a 195 A, and looks like an 8 on the end, which would match the other 38 dates.

Ken

HarrySmith

Can you remove the 2 screws and see if the ringer mount comes out? Also maybe there will be something under there, maybe a clue as to how the original ringer was mounted?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Witty

The original ringer base rivets are very secure. I placed one of the bolts to show the screw and lock washer they used.
The base looks very new with hardly any corrosion. The whole set is in very good condition without the corrosion I have found on other units. I never cleaned any of it, this is how it came.
That makes me think it's probably been in this Colorado dry climate since it was made. We find many antiques out here still in good condition because of that.

Ken

Witty

Paul,
I noticed your site mentioned the D2933-L may indicate a 42 cycle ringer. I'm wondering if the D2993-G maybe indicates a 50 cycle ringer? Just thinking out loud here.
Ken

rdelius

Heins telephone had 251 sets (302 with no  ringer) and added freq ringers. The ringer mounts had no rubber isolation. I suspect the bolts were added to keep the ringer firmly coupled to the base. The ringers might not work as well if on rubber mounts.

paul-f

Quote from: Witty on June 10, 2021, 12:11:45 PM
Paul,
I noticed your site mentioned the D2933-L may indicate a 42 cycle ringer. I'm wondering if the D2993-G maybe indicates a 50 cycle ringer? Just thinking out loud here.

That's where I was headed, too. It's especially likely given the similarity of the markings and the added bolts -- that probably hold the ringer (that doesn't properly fit the mount designed for the B-type ringer).

Now it would be nice to find photos of more examples and a table of ringer frequencies that maps into the -G and -L suffixes, and that might indicate what other variations may be out there.

Witty

Thanks for looking into that Paul.
That makes perfect sense. Please feel free to use any part of my photos if you want to add to your database. Hopefully we will find more examples.
Now I just need to find a 50 cycle ringer to complete the unit!
Ken

Witty

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 10, 2021, 09:24:46 AM
Hey Ken...the plug is very cool.

Doug,
Thanks for mentioning the plug. I like it too, but I can't find anything about it. Looks like it would plug in and out easily to switch between different lines maybe? I'll keep looking for more information.

Ken

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Witty on June 11, 2021, 04:31:01 PM
Doug,
Thanks for mentioning the plug. I like it too, but I can't find anything about it. Looks like it would plug in and out easily to switch between different lines maybe? I'll keep looking for more information.

They are the  early style '4 prong' plug.
It is hard to find the plugs and jacks in this style.
I have seen them in brown and in Ivory.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Quote from: Witty on June 11, 2021, 04:31:01 PM

Used with portable telephones.

Try the TCI Library:https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=C36.201