News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 50AL wiring a 5H Dial Needed

Started by Doug Rose, June 19, 2021, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked up a WE 50AL on the cheap in Kennebunk while on vacation this week. It is working with a dial Blank. All the wiring I see is for a #2.

I added a 5H and it works great. I remembered that you should strap the R to the BB, but it works fine without it!

Pics to follow.....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

5H dial added and working as it should, without a subset  8).

Nice Drop down hook switch. I have never seen any info of why or what these were used for. but they are very cool.

New dial card is a sign of the times...Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 19, 2021, 12:36:27 PM
5H dial added and working as it should, without a subset  8).

Nice phone, but using it without a subset isn't a great idea. There's no spark quench for the dial so the contacts will be suffering and the poor receiver won't like it much either.
:)

MMikeJBenN27

You should not try to use these without a subset.  You can demagnetize the receiver, and even weld the dial contacts together.  Use it with a subset, even if you don't need it to ring, as it needs the induction coil. 

Mike

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on June 20, 2021, 03:59:23 AM
Nice phone, but using it without a subset isn't a great idea. There's no spark quench for the dial so the contacts will be suffering and the poor receiver won't like it much either.
Agreed....but when selling a phone to someone who only wants to display it and show their friends it works it should be fine. I have found many sticks in the past with just a modular cord and working without a subset. No receiver damage.

I have had people ask me in the past to remove "the box" that is on their stick or 202 and just add a modular cord to show it works.

Not everyone is a purist and they just want an old phone sitting on their table....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

If someone asked me to remove the subset from their phone I'd explain to them what it does and why it is important to retain it. If they want it as decoration then remove the cord and have it like that. I would never advise using one without a subset as it's just not good practice.
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on June 20, 2021, 11:16:44 AM
If someone asked me to remove the subset from their phone I'd explain to them what it does and why it is important to retain it. If they want it as decoration then remove the cord and have it like that. I would never advise using one without a subset as it's just not good practice.
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Again....I agree and the discussion was held BUT the customer is always right. They wanted it the way they wanted it....Doug
Kidphone

RB

poplar1

Are you sure it is a 50AL? Looks more like a 51AL.

50AL does not have a R-GN terminal block in the base, and the dial blank does not have a terminal block either, since the manual 50AL does not have a dial cord (harness).

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on June 20, 2021, 02:48:53 PM
Are you sure it is a 50AL? Looks more like a 51AL.

50AL does not have a R-GN terminal block in the base, and the dial blank does not have a terminal block either, since the manual 50AL does not have a dial cord (harness).

David....I will take a picture tomorrow

Thanks Rod.....it is very cool...Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

why does this set not have a subset attached to it? (unless its designed for a separate one that this plugs in to) I see these online and wonder... can these be run directly off the phone line with no subset? all mine have sub sets on them.
John

MMikeJBenN27

The thing is, it is not supposed to be there without the box, unless it is minus it's line cord, just like a car isn't supposed to be sitting on just rims.  They are not making any more of these, so it is not right to sell it in a condition that can damage it.  These need to be PRESERVED, NOT DESTROYED.  If the buyer removes the subset, that's on them, but you should not sell it that way.  It just isn't right.

Mike

SUnset2

With the 706A receiver and the bulldog transmitter, I would think it was a 151AL, and should be connected to an anti-sidetone subset.

Doug Rose

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on June 20, 2021, 07:29:19 PM
The thing is, it is not supposed to be there without the box, unless it is minus it's line cord, just like a car isn't supposed to be sitting on just rims.  They are not making any more of these, so it is not right to sell it in a condition that can damage it.  These need to be PRESERVED, NOT DESTROYED.  If the buyer removes the subset, that's on them, but you should not sell it that way.  It just isn't right.

Mike

Mike....my bad, I forgot I had to run everything I do by you.

Put me on your ever growing list of sellers you don't like.

I have a room full of Telephones that I got from selling telephones. Not a $ of my own money.

If you have a WE subset to send me, it has the correct cord and ready to go.

This is how it was found!

Kidphone

Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

If you insist on selling it without a subset, how about putting a mini network in it then?  (Can you do that with these?)