News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North phone dial question, how to remove finger wheel?

Started by Witty, June 20, 2021, 03:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

I'm cleaning this North phone and need to remove the finger wheel to clean the number plate.
I'm not as familiar with these, it's my only North phone but I'm not sure what dial this is. I could find no name on it.
I took a front and back photo to help identify which brand it is. I need to know how to pop the name tag ring off.
Thanks for any help.

Ken
Ken

LarryInMichigan

That is a North dial.  Gently pry the metal ring off of the dial center ring with card and acetate cover.  Then remove the screw in the center of the metal plate which is revealed.  Note that these finger wheels tend to be very fragile.

Larry

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 20, 2021, 05:43:40 PM
Note that these finger wheels tend to be very fragile.

It's a Bakelite finger wheel, right?

MMikeJBenN27

Witty

I stuck a small screw driver under the little tag cover notch and turned it slowly. The ring, cellophane cover and name tag popped and went flying off about 3 feet. No damage though.
And yes, there were 3 screws in a metal round cover plate that held the finger wheel on.
I could not remove the number plate, but it was exposed and I was able clean it ok.

The phone looks great! All cleaned and very shinny. It looks like brand new. No scratches anywhere. It says a 7H6 FD, 20 CYCLE RINGER, on the bottom, with the North Electric Co, Galion Ohio, stamped on the bottom. All parts, including handset parts are labeled 53. The dial is also labeled 9-53.
I love the sound of this dial, it is awesome! It's like clicks, with a slight echo chamber sound.

I'll take some pics later and post.
Thanks for your help!

Ken
Ken

FABphones

Thanks for sharing.

Quote from: Witty on June 21, 2021, 12:03:59 AM
...I'll take some pics later and post.

Please remember to include photos of the three screws holding the finger wheel on, removed dialcard holder, finger wheel etc.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

It would help to know which North dial we are talking about. There are several and more than one looks like this one when the retainer is in place.

Jack

Witty

I took some photos.
I figured out how you remove the number plate, which is a little more complex than it is with WE dials.
The number plate has tiny screw posts in the back. The small nuts on these posts have to be removed from the back of the dial to let the number plate slide up. The top flange on the front of the dial next has to be turned so the half moon notch lines up with the screws for the finger stop. Removing the finger stop will allow the number plate to slide off.

As I stated before, I did not have to remove the number plate to clean it.

Jack,
It appears to match your first pic, except for the black finger plate instead of clear.

Ken
Ken

Witty

I never paid much attention before, but after looking at the bottom more, I'm now curious what that opening with the rubber grommet would have been for. It's large enough for a good sized cord. Mysteries like that always bug me until I figure it out.

Anyone out there know what it was used for?

Ken
Ken

rdelius

I think the same chassis was used on the wall version and the wiring used that hole

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Witty on June 23, 2021, 12:13:02 AM
I never paid much attention before, but after looking at the bottom more, I'm now curious what that opening with the rubber grommet would have been for. It's large enough for a good sized cord. Mysteries like that always bug me until I figure it out.

Anyone out there know what it was used for?

Ken

Line cable for the wall phone (uses the same nase).

Jack