"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cats, Candlesticks and Catastrophe!

Started by evilw, June 22, 2021, 06:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilw

Hello All,
I have a brass Western Electric that was given to me by my father 40 or 50 years ago. Last night I heard a loud crashing sound in my dining room and saw my cat making a frantic exit. I knew from the sound that it couldn't be good and prepared for the worst. I walked in and saw my Candlestick phone and pieces or plastic all over the floor. I waited until this morning to survey the damage and it actually could have been much worse! The only casualty that I can find in the 143W receiver cap which was in pieces.

This brings me to my question: Can you tell from these photos of my broken cap if it was an original or a repro? I  found the repro caps online pretty cheap and before I hunt down an original I was wondering if the one I had was a repro? Also did original receivers ever have no writing on the end with the cord? I would appreciated your expert advice before I start visiting violin string factories.
Phone is a 20AL  with "WESTERN ELECTRIC COMPANY/PAT IN USA AUG 16 04 SEPT 13 04 JAN 26 1915" stamped on the base.
Thanks,
-WM

TelePlay

From what I see, looks like shattered Bakelite so probably original. Others may know better.

Jim Stettler

I think it is original as well.
I think the repros shatter black vs gray at the break.
JMO,

Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

This is what broken Bakelite looks like (plastic breaks are smoother)

FABphones

They come up on eBay regularly enough, and not expensive. Even I have managed to buy a couple outside the US.

If you still have all the pieces, they will glue together for a temporary repair.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius

Reproduction . The hole in the center has sharp edges and is oversized. The lettering is too sharp. The origional cap was composition or hard rubber. These reproduction caps were of a bakelite type material ,not molded thermoplastic. I used them at COT for replacements.

evilw

Quote from: rdelius on June 22, 2021, 08:31:18 PM
Reproduction . The hole in the center has sharp edges and is oversized. The lettering is too sharp. The origional cap was composition or hard rubber. These reproduction caps were of a bakelite type material ,not molded thermoplastic. I used them at COT for replacements.

Thanks everyone, I will post more close-ups of the break in case it is a more definitive answer to the material.

TelePlay

This may work

http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/western-electric-candlestick-receiver-cap-143.html

Seller description:  "Western Electric 143 Candlestick receiver cap. Fits all Western Electric candlestick and wood wall phone receivers. Stamped Western Electric , Patent Dec 4 1900 March 29 1901"

Verify size/threads with seller. Or maybe a member can verify it as a replacement.

(Can't attach the image from the device I am using)

< edit 06-23-21   images added >

rdelius

evilw

Quote from: rdelius on June 22, 2021, 10:14:14 PM
reproduction, same as broken one

Is that repro replacement any different that the one that sells for $5.99 ob Ebay?
Thanks,
-WM

TelePlay

Quote from: rdelius on June 22, 2021, 10:14:14 PM
reproduction, same as broken one

Thanks, thought so. OldPhoneWorks also has original caps but the price is $45 while this repro is $18, both plus shipping. Parts are no longer cheap.

TelePlay

Quote from: evilw on June 22, 2021, 10:16:42 PM
Is that repro replacement any different that the one that sells for $5.99 ob Ebay?
Thanks,
-WM

Link?

TelePlay

Appears to be the same. Ships from Canada so postage is higher but Old Phone Works is usually a bit lower in price than Old Phone Shop (US seller).

My eBay search did not find the $5.95 item.

evilw

Thanks, I really don't know anything about the Candlesticks other than having owned this one that safely sat on a shelf for decades.
While on the topic, is this unmarked receiver body also a repro? The only marking I can find is the simple 75Z stamp on the element. If it is a repro, I would be better off buying a whole original receiver, so I would be looking for the correct receiver for my Candlestick. Thanks!