"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 Handset Issue (Fungus)

Started by Doug Rose, December 10, 2021, 09:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Quote from: countryman on December 12, 2021, 05:16:01 AM
Looking closely, the handset is not like the military canvas Bakelite ones. Also,the phone shell and the handset s hould have a matching finish.
Possibly the handset is just from a bad batch?
Using filler, elbow grease and paint might be a last resort in such a case. But not when replacement is at hand already.
"the phone shell and the handset should have a matching finish."

I agree 100% and they have a matching finish now....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on December 12, 2021, 05:16:01 AM
Using filler, elbow grease and paint might be a last resort in such a case. But not when replacement is at hand already.

Black shoe polish can also improve these somewhat.

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 11, 2021, 04:59:15 PM
Rather than be "quite foolish," I will offer it to you, a knowledgeable collector for the Price of the phone ....Doug

That was a very generous and attractive offer indeed. Thank you.

Unfortunately, I have to turn it down after reading above that you "worked" on the handset using a couple of rather harsh methods to try to remove the rare cotton Bakelite artifacts. As such, it is no longer in its historical, original condition and not worth anything to any knowledgeable collector. That's really too bad to have lost a rare item such as this.

Your work to smooth the surface by destructive sanding and applying Brasso polish to "smooth" out the cotton filler surface artifacts on this early and rare Bakelite item has also destroyed the historical value of the handset.

Had you used simple curative methods to protect the original surface (cleaning with a mild detergent, degreasing with mineral spirits and applying a coat or two of museum quality microcrystalline Renaissance Wax), I would have given you twice that plus shipping for the handset.

Merry Christmas....

=====

Historical Bakelite formulations: "Baekeland considered the possibilities of using a wide variety of filling materials, including cotton, powdered bronze and slate dust, but was most successful with wood and asbestos fibers . . ."

Doug Rose

It is in the same found condition, a little bit more shiny from the Brasso.

I took your advice is did hang on to it, just removed it from the Navy AE40....Doug

reply 13  I wiped it down with Brasso and then ran a fingernail over it and realized it was too deep to be removed by attempting to sand, with my skill set.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25745.msg252405#msg252405
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I received another Damaged Navy set from the same seller. Handset has the same issue, maybe worse.

The phone had been damaged and I bought it for the lock.  It locks perfect! You can carry the phone around with it in the cradle.Unfortunately the dial was damaged when the case was broken, BUT the Black dial plate survived!

I made it into a Manual Set, then again I have never see a manual set with the Locking device!....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313821578431

Kidphone

tubaman

What's the issue with the dial as it looks ok in the photos?

Doug Rose

It must have been hit as it will not turn and any lubrication does no good. I have plenty of AE dials, but I find it hard to remove the Black plate. Not a simple take as the normal AE dials...Doug
Kidphone