News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I got a Cord Switchboard today

Started by Jim Stettler, May 03, 2010, 01:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Last week I got a call from a lady in Il. She had gotten my # from Gary Goff. Her brother has a switchboard in Colorado Springs.

I made arangements to see it, today.
I wasn't wanting another switchboard, but the Guy is 3rd generation telephone man and has had a local communications business for 22 years. I had talked with him in the past (15+ years ago) and I thought he probably had some "good" stuff".

I saw the switchboard today. I also saw his storage unit. I told him I was wanting some phones and my switchboard interest was really low. When pressed for an offer I said $100. He countered $150 cash. I countered that with $150 plus dibs on going thru his storage units.

He agreed.
I pressed him to let me see into the storage units.

He has a lot of key system stuff, Some small merlin systems, some Panasonic 616's. Boxes of 500's and 2500 cores ect. He also has some earlier sets.

One of the phones he dug out was dated  2-56, it was a 544 which is a 4-button key set. I really liked it so he included it with the switchboard. It is missing the FW and amphenol end. Did I mention it is Brown?

I will be getting with him later this month, I offered free labor to help him sort and organize his units.

Botttom Line.
I will be getting some more old phone stuff, Including some Panasonic 616's.
I have already gotten a brown 544 from 2-56 (no FW or amphenol), for $150 and hauling away an old compleate w/powersupply switchboard. It is missing the dial and turrett, luckily I knew this and bought the parts in Lyons for $25.00 on Saturday. My total justification is $175.00 for the phone and hauling the (compleate w/dial) switchboard (It is a nice Board and very heavy.)

Upcoming acquisitions are: some Panasonic 616's, 302's, 354's, early Sc's, 500's, 2500's lots of parts and cores , probably some 10 buttons, key stuff , test equitment ect.

My "free" labor will help me find all the good stuff and also get some good prices.
Wish me luck,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AET

Jim-
Sounds like you've hit a goldmine.  That's the stuff collectors dream of.
- Tom

LarryInMichigan

I have been dreaming of a nice 354 (and a bigger house so that I would have somewhere to mount it).

Larry

Dan/Panther

Jim;
Great find, for once it's not in Michigan! :o
Did I tell you I have relative in C.S. ?
Exactly where does this guy live I didn't catch that ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on May 03, 2010, 01:59:33 PM
Jim-
Sounds like you've hit a goldmine.  That's the stuff collectors dream of.
I just checked my messages. My wife mentioned I had a call from a guy that was going to be in town last Saturday (while I was in Lyons).

I listened to the message. It turns out a telephone collector wants be a former collector,he was planning  bringing some phone stuff and was wanting me to buy it. so I guess i need to give him a call. He lives several 100 miles away. It seems like I have a busy telephone month.
It was 3 weeks ago I got the black phones,
This last week end was the lyon's show.
The switchboard and brown 544 was today,
Maybe next week on the other collection
and the following week for the storage unit digging.
I will try to post some photos this week.
Jim
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 03, 2010, 02:17:42 PM
Jim;
Great find, for once it's not in Michigan! :o
Did I tell you I have relative in C.S. ?
Exactly where does this guy live I didn't catch that ?
D/P
He is on the corner of Karma and Luck. I have been hanging out there recently.
Jim
You live, You learn,

LarryInMichigan

I was in Colorado Springs once :)  I went on a tour of Cheyenne Mountain AFS, but didn't buy any phones.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 03, 2010, 02:42:55 PM
I was in Colorado Springs once :)  I went on a tour of Cheyenne Mountain AFS, but didn't buy any phones.

Larry

Were they still using 302's? I think they used the 302's up until Autovon came about. Eventually I will get to buy a shed of phones that includes a Norad 302. This guy still has my number, he gave it to his buddy a month ago and I bought the black phones from the buddy.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

I just got off the phone from my contact for the  stuff that was here last week. I did get the contact info for the guy with the phones.
He got my # from the guy with the black phones.
Like I say, "talk to stangers".
Jim
You live, You learn,

LarryInMichigan

QuoteWere they still using 302's? I think they used the 302's up until Autovon came about.

It was 25 years ago that I was there, but I don't remember seeing any 302s, though much of the equipment that I did see was antiquated at the time.  Of course, we were only shown the SECRET parts of the facility.  There might have been 302s in the TOP SECRET parts.  There were heavily armed soldiers guarding those rooms.

Jim, you had better watch out.  If word about you gets out too far, you may find a guy with a truck full of Conair and Crosley phones in your driveway :D

Larry

gpo706

Get them Panasonic PBX's for folks on here, they are Nirvana for phone collecters.

Just plug and play, nothing to be scared of folks!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: gpo706 on May 03, 2010, 04:06:46 PM
Get them Panasonic PBX's for folks on here, they are Nirvana for phone collecters.

Just plug and play, nothing to be scared of folks!

That is why I specifically asked about any. We spotted 2 on a shelf . There are probably more. I told him that any of the hybrid KSU's are items I could have interest in.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 03, 2010, 04:04:05 PM
QuoteWere they still using 302's? I think they used the 302's up until Autovon came about.

It was 25 years ago that I was there, but I don't remember seeing any 302s, though much of the equipment that I did see was antiquated at the time.  Of course, we were only shown the SECRET parts of the facility.  There might have been 302s in the TOP SECRET parts.  There were heavily armed soldiers guarding those rooms.

Jim, you had better watch out.  If word about you gets out too far, you may find a guy with a truck full of Conair and Crosley phones in your driveway :D

Larry

I have a shed full of NIB novelty phones that I would like to sell.  A picker found them for a good price and I bought them to keep him picking for me. After I bought them he moved out of state.
Some days are like that.
I have had these in storage for at least 10 years.
Jim
You live, You learn,

LarryInMichigan

QuoteI have a shed full of NIB novelty phones that I would like to sell.

Jim,

Find someone with time on his/her hands to list them on ebay and split the proceeds.  You can probably get $10-$20 for each.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 03, 2010, 04:26:54 PM
QuoteI have a shed full of NIB novelty phones that I would like to sell.

Jim,

Find someone with time on his/her hands to list them on ebay and split the proceeds.  You can probably get $10-$20 for each.

Larry

I tried selling them thru an ebay lister a few years ago. they didn't sell.
I am thinking about selling them (along with other mod phones) to some of the dealers in the Antique malls. I figure I should be able to  my money back and clear up some space. Since it looks like I am going to be getting some more phones this summer, it is a good time for me to sell them, even If I take a loss.
If anyone likes the novelty stuff, now is a good time to PM me.

Jim
You live, You learn,