News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is required to make a WE 555 Cord Board work?

Started by Ed D, April 16, 2011, 06:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Yeah, I shud charge for this stuff...lol. ;D
Been tryin to for years, can't seem to find it.
I spent a childhood tearin electrical stuff apart. much to my family's dismay. >:(
had 2 older Bro's took initial interest in electric stuff, but dropped it soon after. But not before I caught the bug.
Been doin it every since.
When I started doin it professionally, I landed a job with TRW fixin hazeltine terminals. in the 80's.
Guess they liked me, cause it wasn't long before they brought us an IBM terminal.
For those of you who don't know, IBM requires their chip mfgs to use their part numbers. Found a way around that.
And they do NOT release schematics so...
No choice but to reverse engineer the boards, and generate our own schematics.
Did that for a bunch of products. So much so, that I got good at it.
Did it on more than a few cars back in the day also. "another thread".
Been doin it all my life it seems.
A few of the oldies hangin around muxed at me at first cause I got a backwared approach to this stuff, but, it all I got.
And it works.

MuseumTelephones

RB  Thanks again.  The terminal block has 2 red wires in the control/switchboard side of the terminal block.  They are on terminals 16 and 39.  Please remember that all terminal block wires are cut and are about 2 inches long so they go nowhere.  There is no red wire at the BAT switch.  I found 2 red wires internal in the switchboard, one at "B" on the capacitor and one at the "NL" relay.  Which red wire goes to which terminal on the terminal block "MISC"?  Thanks again.   Jim
Jim McCall AKA MuseumTelephones Spokane Valley Heritage Museum volunteer

RB

Jim
Congrats, you are doin fine.
The Red wire at "B", is your BATT connection. it is before the BATT switch.
The RED wire at the NL relay, is AFTER the Batt switch. It provides power TO terminal 16
You are workin with "B".
Keep in mind, the cut wires, ALL go somewhere!
Each one matches one in that cut bundle on the left, and most WILL need to be replaced/replicated in some way.
Terminals 13 and 14 shud be your "B", and the wires shud match color.
The wire colors for the switch shud match from term 13&14, and term 16

MuseumTelephones

RB  Thank you.  I will try to get back to it tomorrow.  How do you know all this detail?  Do you have wiring diagrams or something?   Jim

RB

MuseumTelephones

RB  Oh.  In the interest of future reference please educate me on how you determine the a red wire goes from "MISC" terminal block terminal # 16 to the "NL RELAY".  Am I correct about that?  I want to document all this for future people at the Spokane Valley Heritage Museum so that when I am gone somebody has a chance of taking care the display.  What drawing and where on that drawing?  Thanks  Jim

RB

Your post, page 4?, cut wires on back of the MISC block.
pin 16 looks red???
Red and Black are common for DC power wiring.
Most of the ground terminals are BLACK.
Could you post a clear pic if the back of the Misc block?
Also, your schematic, page 2 upper left corner under fig2
Those are all the power etc connections.
pin 16 is the incoming connection to the BATT sw, the NL relay is after the BATT switch.
I believe it is also RED, it makes sense.

MuseumTelephones

RB  my responses and answers are shown below in this format --- RESONSE AND ANSWERS---.  I did that to make it easier for you to find them.  Please do not misinterpret that for yelling.  Red font, italics and bold do not work.

6/23/19
That means they terminated there, and were jumpered at the MISC block... They arn't now... --- THEY ARE JUMPERED TOGETHER ON THE SWITCHBOARD CONTROL SIDE OF THE TERMINAL BLOCK.---

GROUND may be found at the "+" point of the 125uf capacitor. in fact, that may be a good place to find and use as reference.
---THE CAPACITOR I FOUND IS 50uf AND ON THE SAME MOUNT AS A RELAY MARKED "NL"---

6/23/19
The Red wire at "B", is your BATT connection. it is before the BATT switch.
The RED wire at the NL relay, is AFTER the Batt switch. It provides power TO terminal 16
You are workin with "B".
Keep in mind, the cut wires, ALL go somewhere!
Each one matches one in that cut bundle on the left, and most WILL need to be replaced/replicated in some way.

Terminals 13 and 14 shud be your "B", and the wires shud match color.
The wire colors for the switch shud match from term 13&14, ---THERE ARE NO WIRES ON TERMINAL 13 OR 14 BUT THEY ARE IN FIG54---

6/24/19
Your post, page 4?, cut wires on back of the MISC block.
pin 16 looks red??? ---YES IT IS RED---

Those are all the power etc connections.  --- I AM SORRY TO SAY I CAN'T FIND "FIG2 WHAT SCHEMATIC # ARE YOU LOOKING AT?---

pin 16 is the incoming connection to the BATT sw, the NL relay is after the BATT switch.
I believe it is also RED, it makes sense.---THERE IS NO RED WIRE AT THE BATT SWITCH---

THERE ARE 2 RED WIRES.  ONE ON EACH OF TERMINAL 16 AND ONE ON TERMINAL 39.  I FOUND A RED WIRE ON THE 50uf CAPACITOR AND ONE ON THE NL RELAY.  SO I SUPPOSE TERMINAL 16 WIRE GOES NL RELAY AND TERMINAL 39 WIRE GOES TO THE 50 uf CAPACITOR PER WHAT YOU ARE SAYING AND THE WIRING DIAGRAM.  I THINK I MISSED THE OBVIOUS BEFORE, DIDN'T REALLY KNOW WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.

IF THE PHOTOS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH LET ME KNOW.  Thanks again   Jim

RB

corrections
GROUND may be found at the "+" point of the 125uf capacitor. in fact, that may be a good place to find and use as reference.
---THE CAPACITOR I FOUND IS 50uf AND ON THE SAME MOUNT AS A RELAY MARKED "NL"---

Don't use the 50. It is ground on + side, and after the Batt switch.

Those are all the power etc connections.  --- I AM SORRY TO SAY I CAN'T FIND "FIG2 WHAT SCHEMATIC # ARE YOU LOOKING AT?---

Fig 6

I believe it is also RED, it makes sense.---THERE IS NO RED WIRE AT THE BATT SWITCH---

what color are the wires on the BATT sw?

MuseumTelephones

RB - Okay I an not planning on using the 50uf.  I have not been able to find the 250uf.
I got the FIG 6.
The 4 BATT sw wires are Green,  Gray,  OR/Red,  and Red/Green
Jim

RB

4 wires??? :o
That puts another kink in the works. ::)
can you post a pic of the batt switch?
Do you have a digital volt meter with an audible continuity setting?

MuseumTelephones

RB  I have a good analog here at home with audible continuity.  I also have a variety of meters at work, at least one is digital.  Photos should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.   Jim

RB

ok, good
I am seeing the same wires on the switch, as on the terminal block
They shud be easy to trace.
I need a closup of the cut bundles that go up into the board.
Fan out the ends a little, and take a pic of the wire ends. I want to see our switch colors.
Next, turn BATT switch off, and trace one wire at a time down to the cut ends. split them out from the rest of bundle.
Do you have a spool of wire? you will need to re terminate a few wires back to the term block.

MuseumTelephones

RB  A good photo of the wires will take me a little while.  I will get that later.  In the mean time please see my wiring charts.  No I don't have wires yet.  I do how ever have a 552 Switchboard that had been stripped of all the internal controls.  I am trying to figure out if somebody would want to fix it up in any way.  Probably not worth it.  If it is not worth it I will use it as a source for wires of the matching colors as much as possible.  Other wise I will have to get wire with non matching color.  I think we are both headed in the same direction, connect up all known and obvious wires then solve the problem wires after that.  Jim

RB

Yeah, thats pretty much it.
If you trace the wires from the BATT switch, you shud find one going back to the term strip, and one going to the ,what was it, the NL relay?
The one to the strip is the input power wire. and then of course, ground.
after that, its whats missing.
Also, on the misc term block pic, can you fold the top row of wires straight up?
and fold the bottom row straight down?
Then take a pic straight on.
That would expose the middle wires, and I believe we can begin to map this out.
This might be easier than I first thot??