News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ebay Listing Annoyances!

Started by DavePEI, May 26, 2012, 04:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

I've just had a payment on a Buy It Now refunded with a note "I listed it at the wrong price and my boyfriend told me off".

So the Thing has been relisted at £50 - it was £15 - and the most recent Thing in completed listings sold at £22. So although I was hoping for a bit of a bargain it wasn't exactly ripping off the seller.

Always thought bidding on ebay was supposed to be a binding contract.

I'm holding off negging the seller in case it comes on the market again at a better price.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on June 18, 2012, 10:37:43 AMAlways thought bidding on ebay was supposed to be a binding contract.

It is, and without a good reason for refusing the sale, then they're breaking ebay's rules...

Babybearjs

dave, I agreen with you totally! especailly when one day there are only 32 pages on the 1940-69 section and the next there are over 50!.....so frustrating!
John

DavePEI

<G>, I am hard to please, but I just remembered another of my pet peeves. This morning I saw another listing containing one of my annoyances - listing an AE Speakerphone. Thats AE as in Automatic Electric, NOT A&E! I see this so many times it makes it all the way into my top 10 peeves!

I notice there is a series of tutorials on You-tube we are all familiar with advertising the services of a certain phone repair company that persists in calling it A&E >:(

Guess I am just hard to please!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

rdelius

Also "Bell Systems" annoys me in listings

LarryInMichigan

I prefer Stromburg and Carlson :)

Greg G.

Maybe I should have posted this in this thread, but, grossly misspelled words are an annoyance in any context.  Minor typos I can forgive, but something like this I can't:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.msg81948#msg81948
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on July 20, 2012, 05:15:51 AM
Thats AE as in Automatic Electric, NOT A&E! I see this so many times it makes it all the way into my top 10 peeves!

Yes, that is one of my least favorite errors on ebaY as well. What is the YouTube reference?

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on July 20, 2012, 01:27:00 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on July 20, 2012, 05:15:51 AM
Thats AE as in Automatic Electric, NOT A&E! I see this so many times it makes it all the way into my top 10 peeves!

Yes, that is one of my least favorite errors on ebaY as well. What is the YouTube reference?

Terry
Hi Terry:

Practically any U-Tube posting by A1 Telephones:

http://www.a1-telephone.com/indexvideos.html

My otter pet peeve about these videos is the don't necessarily show the correct way to do things, and rather than guide people how to do the repairs, really are advertisements for his business. I am not sure if all of his U-Tube videos are listed on that page, but he has a lot of them...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Babybearjs

the phone looks great! just oil the dial, and you're set....
John

Greg G.

Don't have an example off hand, but my biggest ebay annoyance is when they post just scant info on the item, but plenty of verbiage about payments, shipping, disclaimers, returns, etc, etc.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

You need to use misspelled words to your advantage.  I have a couple Westen Electrics in my collection.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

And of course the Arts & Entertainment channel obviously must have put out some phones at some point in time because they show up now on ebaY as "A&E desk phone" etc.

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 11, 2013, 01:05:06 PM
And of course the Arts & Entertainment channel obviously put out some phones at some point in time. They show up now on ebaY as "A&E desk phone" etc.

Terry

Here in the UK, A&E is "Accident and Emergency", our name for the ER at a hospital... :D

WesternElectricBen

Well, I agree, bad presentation is always bad. But in this instance, I myself, wouldn't pull all of the phones out of the box if there were more than 20 or so.

Ben