News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What does your shop look like?

Started by Greg G., October 07, 2012, 11:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

I knew that it began with a "6"!  What is the right hand module that is half the size of the two 8 line modules?

I am in Vancouver BC and we used AE Key equipment here for the most part. AE's 10A2 is compatible with 1A2 but we only had two packages available. "13 Line Panels" for 23 inch racks and "6 packs" that were self contained with an intercom and a power supply all inside a fibreglass cabinet. I like seeing and learning about the other packages that WECo and NECo had available. I do have 620A2 module wit ha small power pack that Jeremy ("oldphon" here on CRPF) gave me years ago. I am just now putting together a small telephone workshop of my own in our old office so maybe the 620A2 will land on the wall soon!

Terry

Babybearjs

Holy Moly! looks like someone is behind in his repairs! get those phones fixed!
John

AE_Collector

What Shop? I don't have anywhere to tinker with phones other than to rip them appart in the Family Room and my wife is beginning to tire of that. BUT, that is about to change.

After both of my daughters moved out we comandeered the larger bedroom for our new office since it is easily twice the size of our old office AND it is upstairs rather than downstairs so it is warmer in the winter. My wife quickly laid claim to the other daughters bedroom as well now calling it her "Scrap Book Room"

Our old office has been dormant (IE: JUNK ROOM) for close to a year now so finally it was time for me to put it to use (lay claim to what no one else wanted). First it needed wall paper stripped and the 1970's spray textured ceiling scraped off.

Cat says "WTH"?

Terry

AE_Collector

Then invite potential Future Son-In-Law over to do some drywall work

AE_Collector

Some sanding, more filling, more sanding, then ceiling paint and wall paint and it is getting closer to being ready to go. This is where it stands at the moment but I am sketching and drawing and sketching out my "next moves" as we speak. It is only 9' by 10' approximately so not a lot of room to work with but a lot more than I had until now.

Outside looking into the Room and Inside looking Out.

Terry

xhausted110

- Evan

Dennis Markham

The cat is patiently waiting for you to get his/her room finished.   That sanding job is a dirty one.  Been there, done that.  I learned that the less "mud" one puts on means less sanding.  The sanding screens work well.  Is that what you used, Terry?  Looks like a nice room in which to work on phones.  Which wall will the work bench go against?

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

David:
My wife bought me that picture of the AE Workshop at Christmas to put on the wall of my new AE Workshop!

Dennis:
I just did the scraping off of the ceiling texture and then my daughters boyfriend did the muding and sanding. Then I took over and painted. Now I'm thinking, planning and measuring. Soon I'll be "procurring". I think I am going to "grid" the ceiling like a Central Office to set the mood.

I would like to start with the workbench but I havent found just what I want to use yet. I'm on the scrounge. I am leaning towards having it on the same wall as the door, opposite the window. For now I have the heavy duty table on a side wall because it fits well there!

I had my eye on a real nice workbench about a year ago that had been in the old Lenkurt plant here but I wasn't able to get it when they closed the building down so I am back to being on the scrounge. They started cleaning the building out when the lease was up and next time I saw the workbench it was upside down smashed in a giant garbage bin. Unfortunately they started cleaaring out the building with the corner of the building that we had been working in. Had I seen stuff getting loaded into the dumpsters in other parts of the building I would have executed my "rescue" of the workbench before they got there but it wasn't to be.

Terry

AE_Collector

More Progress in the telephone Worksop. Since I intend on having some switching going on in my little phone workshop I decided I wanted to decorate sort of like a CO. I would like to have cable runway circling the room but I decided while not as old looking, Grid would be much more practical and more readily available to me.

For those who don't know what "Grid" is, check the pictures. This is what Telco's put in Telephone Equipment Rooms these days as it allows cable to be run "point to point". In large CO's this saves a lot of cable as compared to having to do square corners where runways intersect. The day I started with the Telco in 1975 I was hanging Grid in an addition to a large AE SxS Office that was preparing to have a GTE/AE #1 EAX Electronic Exchange Installed. The equipment had yet to arrive so we were hanging grid throughout the office so that the equipment could be bolted to the floor when it arrived and cable running could then commence.

In "My Office", Grid is hardly required but I thought it would look more like a small CO and it does make it easy for me to run cable between equipment and a wall frame that I will install. No doubt I will put a lot more cable up on top than is really in use to make it look more realistic!

I only have about 2 inches of space above my grid where as in most CO's you can walk around up there. I didn't want to lose any more height in the room than I had to while still allowing the grid to be usable.

Terry

Russ Kirk

And here are photos of a working CO grid - showing poor craftsmanship.  I just wanted to share some photos of horrors I have seen in the past.

Terry,  your choice of the grid sounds like a great solution. 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

My shop (the messy one ugly one) pictures are first and my bedroom where most of my phones are stored.

AE_Collector

Quite the fleet of "Mickey Mouse Phones" you have there WesternElectricBen! :)

Terry

Mr. Bones

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 03, 2013, 10:23:25 PM
Quite the fleet of "Mickey Mouse Phones" you have there WesternElectricBen! :)

Terry

Yes, Nick!

Is the center one, or the right one the eldest? I would guess RH side one. Just trying to develop some new wrinkles in the ol' brain, so thanks!!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus