News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strange Cloth Cord with TWO Dual Prongs

Started by Doug Rose, April 15, 2021, 08:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is in outstanding condition with one spade missing.

I have seen Operator headsets with a Dual Prong, but not TWO!!

Not sure what it would be used for....Doug
Kidphone

RB

Ok, I am stumped.
Definitely a 3 wire head/handset thing...
But, yeah, 2 plugs?
Listen in on 2 conversations?
Please, No...lol

HowardPgh

Might it be for a piece of test equipment?
Howard

CanadianGuy

Looks like some of the cords I've seen hanging on the walls in some COs. They probably don't get touched anymore. I might have pictures.

Doug Rose

It's been a month, it will get cut and used...kind of a shame....but it is what it is..cloth is amazing...Doug
Kidphone

markosjal

When i was a kid in high school early 80s late 70s i would work as crew on a TV production crew. Often we did live football soccer , etc TV coverage . The telco sometimes handled the video feeds but most always routed radio feeds. One thing they used to do was a separate xmit and receive pair with a hacked looking phone that allowed a radio station to go live and have talkback from the radio station. 

Because i was curious of all of this i spent a lot of time snooping where i should not have but i saw cables like these that were patch cables probably for the 2 pair xmit/receive lines. These were often in telco mobile trucks that would get parked next to the TV truck for a transmission,  but sometimes permanently installed in a facility like a stadium.

I tried to find a pic of these modified 500 sets and could not find one. I think the were dedicated ring down lines.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Jim Stettler

Quote from: markosjal on May 28, 2021, 02:38:16 AM
The telco sometimes handled the video feeds but most always routed radio feeds. One thing they used to do was a separate xmit and receive pair with a hacked looking phone that allowed a radio station to go live and have talkback from the radio station. 

I tried to find a pic of these modified 500 sets and could not find one. I think the were dedicated ring down lines.

I have seen modified princess phones for live remote radio broadcast.

Both were black farm interphone princess phones, installed in a carry case with a beehive lamp and separate ringer the directions were on a neon orange sticker in the carry case. These were mounted in the carry case using extra long base screws. both were Pacific Bell.

My guess is the hacked 500 set was probably a farm interphone set.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.