News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hideous Telephones

Started by Stephen Furley, August 04, 2009, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

All telephone lines in the UK are touchtone, with pulse-dialling still being available on most lines (though it's all electronic, and often is very picky and phones have to be dead on 10pps or it's no-go!!), and yes, a push-button pulse-dialling phone is slower than touchtone to dial, but not that much slower than a rotary dial... :)

poplar1

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 06, 2014, 02:04:29 PM
All telephone lines in the UK are touchtone, with pulse-dialling still being available on most lines (though it's all electronic, and often is very picky and phones have to be dead on 10pps or it's no-go!!), and yes, a push-button pulse-dialling phone is slower than touchtone to dial, but not that much slower than a rotary dial... :)

If the pushbutton DP phone is 10 pps, then how is it slower than a rotary dial? In fact, it may be a bit faster because the interdigit time is fixed, whereas on a rotary dial, the interdigit time is longer before dialing a large number such as 9 or 0.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 06, 2014, 02:04:29 PM

My chance !.. all my old electronic phones by Emerson and Radio Shacks have 10 pps and 20 pps and all stay on 20 pps

twocvbloke

Quote from: poplar1 on January 06, 2014, 03:15:14 PMIf the pushbutton DP phone is 10 pps, then how is it slower than a rotary dial? In fact, it may be a bit faster because the interdigit time is fixed, whereas on a rotary dial, the interdigit time is longer before dialing a large number such as 9 or 0.

Seems I made an error, I meant to say "not much faster", my mind's a bit here and there cos I'm fiddling with computers that don't want to behave... ;D

Contempra

anyway, its much faster to 20 pps than 10 pps  ;D

twocvbloke

True, but not all phones have 20pps dialling available... :)

Contempra

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 06, 2014, 03:41:49 PM
True, but not all phones have 20pps dialling available... :)

Exact  twocvbloke :)

TelePlay

Yes, it is re-listed, just now, within the past hour!  And at a the bargain (sale?) price of $9.99 BIN plus $13.37 shipping.

First posted in this topic at http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1351.msg111328#msg111328

and up for sale, again, on eBay at http://www.ebay.com/181298846712 in a 30 day auction which may or may not end early  ;)

TelePlay

Quote from: GeneGenie on January 06, 2014, 11:18:13 AM
What on Earth is that?

Another one just came up on eBay and I kind of like it. It looks much better in white. If someone needed a cheap Pacific rim touch tone that would blend into (meet feng shui standards) a setting, this would work. Not classic, not rotary, really cheap, but if it works, it looks good - art deco meets the silicon chip. Not nearly as "hideous" as the black one posted a bit earlier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261403185733

TelePlay

Getting back on topic, Hideous Phones, this has got to be in the top 10 ever. WECOS?

Seller listed it as an "Antique Telephone Lamp" with the description saying a "Very cool old lamp with rotary style phone.  The lamp works.  The black knob on the base of the lamp controls how bright you want the light.  The phone does not get a dial tone.  It is in need of a good cleaning."

It's a 7 day eBay auction starting at $89 or BIN for $119, but is comes with free shipping . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251455209053

Bridie

Bridget

Nick in Manitou

Bridie, I think that phone fits the topic title very well!

Contempra

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on April 01, 2014, 09:43:45 AM
Bridie, I think that phone fits the topic title very well!

Less than the others  Nick, I see some more hideous lowest in this thread..anyways

TelePlay

We've seen these before "intentionally" melted as phones #54 and #61 in this topic, but this is the first one that was truly melted in a fire, and being offered on eBay in a 7 day auction starting at $39.99 plus $25.10 shipping from Canada.

Since it seems to have not been intentionally destroyed, it doesn't belong in this topic but is here for comparison to the other two "works of art" that have been posted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Black-Rotary-Phone-Melted-in-Fire-Monophone-Automatic-Electric-Canada-/151316279823

WEBellSystemChristian

I have a feeling that dial might be a little stuck... ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford