News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Getting old phone to ring with ATA

Started by Marco99, June 10, 2021, 03:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marco99

I found this old wooden phone and it's so far gone that I am hanging it on my fence in the backyard.
I thought it would be fun to have it ring and see the reaction I get from visitors.
I have a bunch of ATA's and I'm wondering how to wire this to ring. I connected a ringing ATA to the coils of the ringer but don't get much clapper action.
Do I need higher voltage?

Any help would be appreciated.

HarrySmith

Looks like you are missing the magneto & batteries.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

You should place a 1 or 2uf 200volt non polarized cap in line with the ringer.
Then it should ring???

Marco99

Quote from: RB on June 10, 2021, 10:22:38 PM
Then it should ring???

Bingo!, Used an old 2uF cap I salvaged from an electric fan and it rings.

Thanks

Marco99

Quote from: RB on June 10, 2021, 10:22:38 PM
Then it should ring???

Thanks again for your help, but I have another question or two.
I am playing around with ring cadence in the ATA to get a more distinctive ring. Is the standard ring frequency 20Hz for phones of this vintage?
What would have been the ring cadence back in 1912 when this phone was put in service?

thanks

countryman

LB phones were "fully manual" by 1912 I think. The ringing voltage was produced by cranking the magneto. The magnetos I measured produced a frequency of ~16-18 Hz at an average cranking speed.
I think 20 Hz is fine, though.
What the cadence is concerned, I'm not sure. May depend on the exact type of office.
Party line railway phones often used morse code ringing signals to call individual parties.

dsk

The ring frequency varied a lot after how fast you turned the crank, the slowest ringing machine I have measured was 13Hz but most the exchange did often use 1/3 or 1/2 of the mains frequency, 20Hz in 60 hz areas, 25Hz in 50 Hz areas (Europe)

The ring cadence was often manually so one long ring and that was it was pretty common, or as mentioned over morce code for partylines.

If you want it to ring as an it was a manual exchange I will suggest 17Hz and one second ring and maybe 10-20 seconds of silence. If the ATA is a linksys, maybe square wave will be sounding better, try it out, and lower the voltage to a suitable sound, maybe 60V will be plenty???

Marco99

My ATA is a Grandstream HT502 and it seems the only way to make any changes to voltage or frequency is through SLIC (subscriber line interface) option. You choose one from 15 different global regions/countries. I haven't been able to find documentation as to what the difference is between each one.
Maybe just try each one and see what happens.

dsk

The maual says:

Table 10: Advanced settings

System Ring
Cadence
Configuration option is set ring cadence on all FXS ports for all incoming calls.
(Syntax: c=on1/off1-on2/off2-on3/off3(only 3 cadences maximum)) Default is set
to c=2000/4000; (US standards)

manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjW4bvfu5vxAhVT_7sIHZvcA1kQFjAAegQIBRAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.grandstream.com%2Fhubfs%2FProduct_Documentation%2Fht502_user_manual.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2lO78_43Ypyt-dkWiyuROq

tubaman

I like the UK ring cadence, but then I'm a bit biased  ::)
For the above I think the UK cadence would be C=400/200-400/2000
:)

Marco99

Quote from: dsk on June 16, 2021, 02:12:18 AM
The maual says:

Table 10: Advanced settings

System Ring
Cadence
Configuration option is set ring cadence on all FXS ports for all incoming calls.
(Syntax: c=on1/off1-on2/off2-on3/off3(only 3 cadences maximum)) Default is set
to c=2000/4000; (US standards)

manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjW4bvfu5vxAhVT_7sIHZvcA1kQFjAAegQIBRAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.grandstream.com%2Fhubfs%2FProduct_Documentation%2Fht502_user_manual.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2lO78_43Ypyt-dkWiyuROq

Yes I have been playing around with cadence settings but wondering what the different SLIC setting does to impedance, ring freq (Hz) , ring voltage, etc.

Marco99

Quote from: tubaman on June 16, 2021, 06:11:59 AM
I like the UK ring cadence, but then I'm a bit biased  ::)
For the above I think the UK cadence would be C=400/200-400/2000
:)

Yes I like the UK cadence and am using one very close to it now.
c=600/400-600/2000;