Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Collector's Corner / Re: Is this a Siemens Dial?
« Last post by countryman on Today at 02:14:41 AM »
Are all these GPO dials 80 mm in diameter, as opposed to American 76 mm (3") standard?
yeah, I understand what you are saying. like I mentioned before, I added a 24 volt relay on my electric fireplace and have it run through the 18 volt PS. it works fine, as I added a thermostat to the circuit to regulate the heat... the PSU runs the relay just fine, and I've even had to replace the fuse a few times and am probably going to go up to a 3 amp fuse on that circuit. its basically the buzzer power supply so if I'm not using the buzzers, it only powers the fireplace relay when used. I did have a window AC unit set up the same way and it worked out just fine. wound up pulling out the unit when I got the central AC repaired last spring... its now in storage as an emergency unit. I'm in the process of rewiring my 208 KTU array, bulled it and now I'm putting it back together.... I hate the system sometimes, so many connections to make and a few to daisy chain.... I'm taking my time.... I also have to order some more 12 and 24 volt T2 LED's. mostly 24 volt is what I need, they are for my alarm panel. I also discovered that terminal #21 on the 208 KTU doesn't do anything, so I might try to add a pilot light to that terminal and see what it does... its tied to the LS relay, so it might just flash when energized. I'm discovering that there are a few unused terminals on the 200 series KTU's that can be utilized for pilot light use. (when wired correctly.... ) sometimes they work, others they don't. but its worth trying. I'm having to rewire my alarm panel block as I pulled some cross connects out to clean up the wiring and have to reinstall them. all just pilot lights, indicators for incoming calls and busy lights. I never really got the alarm panel fully functioning because of the time it takes to wire the darn thing properly... I have 30 lights, 10 for incoming calls, 10 for line busy status and 10 for ICM signaling (they are wired parallel with the station buzzers).  tons of cross connects... since only 10 of the 20 lamps are used in my system, then the remaining lamps get used for power indication and other options. I wish you were here to actually see this setup in person.. you'd be amazed...
« Last post by Doug Rose on Yesterday at 08:54:21 PM »
Thanks Jacků.Doug
« Last post by Jack Ryan on Yesterday at 08:41:49 PM »
Is it a Siemens??...thanks...Doug

It is likely a Siemens Brothers dial - it should be marked somewhere.

Siemens Brothers designed and manufactured that dial (actually the No. 8 ) as a replacement for the dials that were previously used by the GPO and other jurisdictions (AE Mercedes, SB No 3, WE 7001, RATCo). It was subsequently accepted as a standard dial by the GPO, PMG, NZPO, IPO, several middle eastern jurisdictions, Norway, Japan, parts of Canada and many others. In the UK, other manufacturers were licensed to manufacture it for the GPO.

Jack
The screws on the inside of the door should allow you to move the gongs closer together.
Regards.
Rod
That must've been quite a job, wandering the country looking for subjects.
Yes, I agree very cool. A long way to a phone in those days..
Posted on Shorpy.com.

September 1941. "Telephone sign along highway. Judith Basin, Great Falls, Montana." Acetate negative by Marion Post Wolcott for the Farm Security Administration.

(Click to enlarge.)

Rene....that is one cool picture! ...thanks for posting....Doug
Key Systems (Electronic, 1A2 etc) / Re: Cross connection wiring frustration!
« Last post by Key2871 on Yesterday at 06:10:17 PM »
As I said have a common carrier, I use the 18 Volt for signal, with a rectifier you can change the AC to DC then use a 12 volt relay there is enough amperage to drive a relay using slightly less voltage.
You can even encoperate a capacitor to give the circuit boost.
But by doing so, you don't have a bunch of wires running around for all the different circuits.
You've simplified a lot by doing that.
Just don't over draw on the supply and strain your power unit. Write everything down for each circuit, making notes as to color code you used.
Just keep them straight through the entire system.

If a problem comes up, refur to your notes and that just made everything easier.
AC relays using low voltage are not common so using a good low ohm DC relay is good, and a rectifier able to handle all tumour relays draw is important but it's not recamended doing so.

Power units are tough but be nice to them because they aren't cheap to replace.

Not every thing will need a relay either, when I listened to music via my keys system I just had the out out go through the key set. High voltage went through a relay.

And keep your wiring straight and use 22 to 24 gauge only.
Using Telco wire even if you make a custom cable on your system board, keep the color code.
I would keep shething from lager core wires to house my own mix of wires and mark the cable clear as to what it does. Again writing it all down in the event of trouble.

I learned a that long ago when I first started out.
Makes things way eaiser to go back and remind you of what you did.
So important to be organised standardised.

These old key sets are so versital and actually fun to play around with.
Posted on Shorpy.com.

September 1941. "Telephone sign along highway. Judith Basin, Great Falls, Montana." Acetate negative by Marion Post Wolcott for the Farm Security Administration.

(Click to enlarge.)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10