Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
Auction Talk / Re: Pay Phone Telephone Western Electric RARE BROWN COLOR!
« Last post by 19and41 on June 17, 2021, 03:17:49 PM »
Looks like it's better to find out about these things when it isn't yours, than to find them out after having bought it.  Sometimes fickle fate can be your friend.
Phone Booths / Re: Reassigned French Phone Booth
« Last post by countryman on June 17, 2021, 02:16:44 PM »
Here's the German version:

Article about the book exchange operated by Maren Merten, a nurse working in a nearby hospital:
https://www.ruhrnachrichten.de/luenen/telefonzelle-an-der-borker-strasse-ist-wieder-fuer-buechertausch-geoeffnet-1307024.html
Booths could be had cheaply years ago, but no longer now.
Does the ringer autoswitch, when the generator is not operating, connect C1 to L1, and B1 to L2?

If so, the ringer is connected directly to L1 and L2, without the benefit of a capacitor in series. This will probably keep the line off hook all the time (or, at least, trip ring then keep it off hook, on an incoming call). (Assuming the line is connected to L1 and L2?)

B2 ringer terminal connects to L1. B1 ringer terminal connects through closed contact in autoswitch to L2.
We're working on it.  It does hang up if I just plain disconnect L1 and L2.  I found an interesting complication that some of the "new old" wires used aren't so reliable.  One can be made to be continuous or not by moving it around gently with alligator clip tester leads on both ends.  The wire was a gift, which I appreciate, but it fails continuity checking once it's been bent a few times.  My plan is this weekend to test using "vintage guitar" wire samples that should arrive tomorrow and see if that provides something that looks authentic but handles being stuffed into a ringer-box-sized phone box and dressed harshly around a big magneto better.  Or it might be horrible tinsel that spits glitter when trimmed, who knows?  Meanwhile this concept that capacitance, resistance, and the overall circuit affect the local exchange (or whatever passes for one now) recognizing the hangup is new but makes a lot of sense to me.  I had kind of thought that you push the switch and it either connects or it does not.  I am definitely still trying to understand the phone circuit and though it's obviously simple I do not yet understand it properly.  I can make one work, but it has an element of voodoo to it still.  Like I imitate the diagram from somewhere and then it works but I couldn't do it from scratch yet.  So what is it that needs to change for the other end to think it's a real disconnection?
Phone Booths / Re: Reassigned French Phone Booth
« Last post by tubaman on June 17, 2021, 10:11:38 AM »
'The reading box' (I think?) - very nice.
 :)
Phone Booths / Reassigned French Phone Booth
« Last post by FABphones on June 17, 2021, 09:24:27 AM »
I came across this phone booth which has been given a new role as a Public Library. Many phone kiosks have been similarly reassigned in the UK, but this is the first I have come across in France.
Junk
Technical "Stuff" / Re: SC Fatboy conversion work
« Last post by FABphones on June 17, 2021, 02:48:02 AM »
Do you have any ‘before’ photos?

:)
Off Topic / Re: Harpoonicus Equipment Check IOW Behinds th Scenes, y'all ;) )
« Last post by SUnset2 on June 17, 2021, 01:40:20 AM »
Welcome back.  Good to hear from you (and your harp).  Those old Electro-Voice mikes were built to last.  Last year when we started doing all this video conferencing, I got out my old EV 636 (not a good shape for harp use) put it on a desk stand and a preamp, and have the best audio of any of my co-workers. 
Technical "Stuff" / Re: SC Fatboy conversion work
« Last post by MMikeJBenN27 on June 17, 2021, 01:28:36 AM »
Were the stock parts bad or missing?  If so, you did a good job in saving this phone.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »