Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
Wooden Phones / Re: Getting old phone to ring with ATA
« Last post by dsk on June 16, 2021, 02:12:18 AM »
The maual says:

Table 10: Advanced settings

System Ring
Cadence
Configuration option is set ring cadence on all FXS ports for all incoming calls.
(Syntax: c=on1/off1-on2/off2-on3/off3(only 3 cadences maximum)) Default is set
to c=2000/4000; (US standards)

manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjW4bvfu5vxAhVT_7sIHZvcA1kQFjAAegQIBRAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.grandstream.com%2Fhubfs%2FProduct_Documentation%2Fht502_user_manual.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2lO78_43Ypyt-dkWiyuROq
Technical "Stuff" / Re: Dialgizmo Hookup Problem
« Last post by Key2871 on June 15, 2021, 10:09:14 PM »
Well tip and ring being on two separate wires would explain why it didn't work.
So you got everything straightened out and it all works as it should?

This is a case where a butt set would come in very handy, so you can verify what pair is being used to carry the phone signal.

Did you wire the punch block and pairs? Or did someone else do those.
I've found instances before where someone who didn't know how to connect the proper pair in the home before and I found it via a butt set. Now you can use a regular phone, it helps to modify the end with gator clips so they can simply be clipped onto a pair with out having to hard wire the set.
Some handy in for you in the future so you can solve problems more easily.
My Telephone Collection / Re: Scott K. collection
« Last post by Scott on June 15, 2021, 09:19:20 PM »
Thank you Mr. Smith.

Regards,
Technical "Stuff" / Mystery Solved, Dialgizmo Working
« Last post by black AE 50 on June 15, 2021, 08:50:53 PM »
After my last post, I decided to see if any of the local business telecom companies would be willing to tackle my problem because I was at a loss to figure it out. Save for one, all of the companies I contacted did business installations only. The sole company willing to take a shot wanted $400 just to "have a look" and wouldn't guarantee success. Things were looking pretty grim until I remembered that the tech that has fixed my computers for years recently mentioned that he also did security system installations. I gave him a call. His rates were reasonable and he felt that he could fix the problem.  He was able to trace the circuit and found that the tip and ring coming from the phone were actually carried by the black and yellow wires. He then confirmed my finding that the yellow and black wires in the phone line were connected at the punch down box and the red and green wires were tied off. He disconnected the yellow and black wires, connected the red and green wires and then rewired the rest of the line as shown in the schematic. When I first made the schematic, I couldn’t make it work logically until I realized that, contrary to what I previously believed,  the visible red, green, and yellow wires connected to the L1, L2, and GRD terminals respectively are not part of the main phone line but actually belong to a line located inside the phone only.  The other ends of the wires in this internal line connect to terminals (probably 4) on a hidden terminus (probably on the the back of phone).  The actual phone line also connects to this hidden terminus via the black and yellow wires. I have not actually seen this hidden terminus and am not about to take the phone down to check it out but the schematic shows that there is only one other possible alternative: An ordinary man with an extraordinary old phone … newly wired to receive calls through a switchboard located in…the Twilight Zone. My money is on the hidden terminus. I have added it to the schematic (indicated by dashed lines and faded colors).
Auction Talk / Re: SC 1543 as a 500 conversion housing
« Last post by paul-f on June 15, 2021, 08:27:06 PM »
Some background info on the SC 1586 "New Image" set here:
http://www.paul-f.com/500style.html#SC1586
Auction Talk / SC 1543 as a 500 conversion housing
« Last post by Jim Stettler on June 15, 2021, 05:59:33 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133790135994

Here is a SC 1543 type phone with a 500 conversion housing.

You can occasionally find these sets, the easiest 'tell' is the feet of the phone, if it has the early feet.
I am just mentioning it because some collectors are not aware these conversion housings were made.
Jim

edit to add the photo
« Last post by HarrySmith on June 15, 2021, 04:47:43 PM »
Very nice collection & display. Congrats!
« Last post by Scott on June 15, 2021, 03:06:39 PM »
Updated Deco-Tel display and a new display for pre 1960 WE 500s.
Wooden Phones / Re: Getting old phone to ring with ATA
« Last post by Marco99 on June 15, 2021, 01:26:54 PM »
My ATA is a Grandstream HT502 and it seems the only way to make any changes to voltage or frequency is through SLIC (subscriber line interface) option. You choose one from 15 different global regions/countries. I haven't been able to find documentation as to what the difference is between each one.
Maybe just try each one and see what happens.
Auction Talk / Re: Western Electric Manual Set 9 30 54
« Last post by Doug Rose on June 15, 2021, 08:50:44 AM »
Not my listing, but bought a set of these off this vendor and they worked well, also have removed my own and transplanted them to another cord.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193766590595

I know also not quite correct for a  1954 straight cord, but maybe closer to correct? JC
thanks JC....Doug
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »