Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
Collector's Corner / Re: New Old Stock 202 Base??
« Last post by Doug Rose on July 26, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »
Very hard to find all the cork feet on these bottoms in such nice condition...Doug
Collector's Corner / 2x GPO No150 Candlestick Phone Lamps
« Last post by FABphones on July 26, 2021, 10:53:29 AM »
Maybe I just felt sorry for these. A pair of GPO No150 Candlestick lamps which would categorise equally well in lamp phone atrocities. I guess I’m also a tad intrigued as to how much of the interior remains and why that particular short cord to the receivers. Basically, what exactly the converter did to ‘upcycle’ :-\ these poor old sticks.

From British Telephones website (https://www.britishtelephones.com/t150.htm):

”Introduced in 1924, it was the PO’s first standard design of dial table telephone. Where the telephone was to be used on manual exchanges, the space for the dial in the base of the telephone was covered by a dummy insert (used as a number label holder) that could be replaced by a dial when the exchange was converted to automatic operation”.

I have a spare metal dial blank (referred to above as a dummy insert) to match them up correctly, No2 endcaps I am short of, but as I already have several No150 candlesticks these will likely remain as lamps. Particularly if any internal parts are missing.

Only thing is left to decide is - whether to put a hat lampshade on them?  :(
« Last post by Scott on July 26, 2021, 10:50:59 AM »
Got it, thank you.

Scott K.
« Last post by Doug Rose on July 26, 2021, 10:37:31 AM »
Scott....rumor has it, the cork pads were WE's idea to stop the phone from sliding on a desk surface. ..Doug
Unusual Issues & Solutions / Re: redesigning ideas
« Last post by Key2871 on July 26, 2021, 08:40:46 AM »
I agree with Stephen keep your internet stuff in one area. Maybe even keep it away from high voltage stuff like your power unit.
Doing this will keep other noise from becoming a problem.

Put your KSU power plant low, don't run the power cord amungst low voltage Telco wires.

Arrange things in groups, so it's easy to isolate or trouble shoot.

If you have had station issues in the past. Allow for a station to connect at the source, so you can test the station and isolate runs.

Make clear notes, diagrams, like a road map to help you in the future in the event you have issues.

If your using copper for phone lines, do your own NI right near the system so if you need to isolate its as easy as unplugging a cord.

And keep your cords, cables neat. Use wire ties for stations, etc in groups. Don't just grab a handful and tie them up.
Because you will find your self cutting wire ties, trying to isolate your issues.

Simplify, group, know each cable each wire and where it goes. Marking them with tags, what ever. Keep your notes in one place preferably with your system.

The better you do things now, the eaiser it will be to find issues, or change things later.
And the less time you spend trying to find problems
« Last post by FABphones on July 26, 2021, 03:58:13 AM »
…Tell us more about your current system, I cant make out your labels on the boxes.

IIRC the rebuild was spread out over a few threads, if you do a search you may find more:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22144
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22855
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23656
« Last post by 5415551212 on July 26, 2021, 12:06:21 AM »
well, I'm thinking again! (eek!) when I designed my phone system years ago I went with the common M1-50 #66 blocks. I have about 13 of them in use. after I completed that I found on sandman.com the 66B4-25 half blocks and standoffs for them. I didn't even know they made standoffs for these, or even had half length blocks available. (6 X 12) anyway, I bought some of the standoffs and was able to daisy chain 3 6 X 12 blocks together and am using them for different purposes in my scheme. now, I need more connections... so.... I'm thinking of replacing 10 of my M1-50 blocks with the 66B4-25 blocks, which I have 2 of right now. the idea comes as various equipment that is in use needs additional cross connects and the B4-25 has 6 pins as where the M1-50 only has 4... plus the B4-25 doesn't need bridging clips unless I opt in for split blocks. the down side is the isolation option... some of the connections need to be isolated so, I might have to make custom blocks. taking out the pins is easy, then all I have to do is to cut them in half and reinstall them... IF I want to go that far... I wish I had known about the standoffs earlier... but I had the m1-50's and they seemed to do the job at the time... so, what's your thinking on this? which do you think I should go with? stay with what I have or upgrade the system? its an interesting idea.... the other thing is that the M1-50's can have a hinged cover, as where the B4-25's cannot.

John i'd move the dsl / modem over to the same side as your dlink router.
Tell us more about your current system, I cant make out your labels on the boxes.
Auction Talk / Re: Stromberg Carlson Oilcan Lamp
« Last post by Jim Stettler on July 25, 2021, 11:16:04 PM »

I looked at the photos some more.
I am already liking it more. I think I will be using it as a lamp for quite awhile.

I think it will look pretty good  with a mouthpiece and a 'Buerger bros.' base ring.
I just need to find my base ring.
Jim
« Last post by Scott on July 25, 2021, 11:16:01 PM »
Is there a story behind the cork pads because every 202 I have ever had has had those. I appreciate the information.

Regards,
Scott K.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »