News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing paint from coiled cords

Started by royalbox, February 04, 2017, 05:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

royalbox

As the title says, what's a good way to remove paint from a coiled cord? I'm talking about paint splashes and spots from where someone has decorated.

I've tried mentholated spirits which is okay for small spots but not the larger areas.
Thanks for any tips,
Barry.

jsowers

Denatured Alcohol works for me and gets all the dirt off too. Just moisten a paper towel with it and start cleaning. I start in the middle of the cord, so I don't lose the direction of the coils and have to rewind the entire cord. It leaves the cords nice and shiny and smooth. No residue and no soaking required. It won't work on cloth cords, though. Only plastic cords from the 1950s on. Also, don't use Isopropyl Alcohol. It's too weak a solvent. Go to your nearest mom and pop hardware store and get a can of Denatured Alcohol. You will be amazed what it will get off cords.

Often in those cords there will be kinks and sometimes you have to re-coil it. I use a wooden dowel on a hot dashboard in the summertime for that.
Jonathan

royalbox

Thanks Jonathan, methylated spirits (I spelt that wrong in my first post) is denatured alcohol. There's a lot of paint on the cord and it's not coming off very well. Wondered if there was something else.
Barry.

RotarDad

I have had very good success with a household cleaner called Krud Kutter to clean anything off my cords, and other phone parts.  A small container to allow soaking of the cord really helps.  Like Jonathan said, this refers to plastic, not cloth, cords. 
Paul

royalbox

Okay thanks. The paint is really difficult to remove and there's a fair amount of it but I'll see what I have in the cupboard or try the methylated spirits again.
Barry.

jsowers

I've also heard of someone using Goof Off to get rid of stubborn paint on cords. I've never had paint that stubborn, so I guess I'm just lucky. Denatured alcohol has always done the trick for me. Sometimes it does require a second application to let it sink into the paint.

I haven't ever tried to take factory paint off a coiled cord, where the entire cord is painted at the refurb shop, but I've seen a few of them.
Jonathan

AL_as_needed

royalbox may be having extra difficulty if it is an oil based paint vs latex based. Mineral spirits, cleaners, windex etc work great on latex paints but not so much on oil based.

While I have not really had to face this issue yet, I'd be careful using anything that is really harsh as I could dry out the rubber on the cord (depending on exact material). I have used a natural brush cleaner (cannot recall the brand, was a turpentine based product however) but it was pretty mellow and still did a great job on my painting equipment.

TWinbrook7

royalbox

Thanks a lot everyone, it's done now.
I Persevered with the methylated spirits. I stretched out the cord and fixed it at both ends which made it easier. I'll recoil it as shown elsewhere on this forum.
Thanks again,
Barry.

AL_as_needed

Here is just that info, be sure not to use a plastic rod if you go with the oven technique like I did.... living and learning

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=202.0
TWinbrook7

andy1702

Just for the record... I've never needed to resort to chemicals to remove paint from plastic cords. I just soak them in hot water containing washing up liquid for a few mins. This loosens the paint enough that you can usually get your finger nail under it and peel the spot off.

The hot water will relax the coils a bit, but it's not necessary to heat them upbon a rod or anything so complicated. Just wind the coils the opposite way and they should magically tighten up again.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

I've also used the soap, water & fingernails technique too, most paints wither wash off in the water, or peel off with ease that way, sometimes they don't even need the soap & water to peel the paint off too... :)