News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Big Beam Flashlight

Started by AL_as_needed, January 15, 2019, 07:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

I got this flashlight from shopgoodwill.com as sort of an x-mas gift to myself. The price was right and the rationalization to impulse buy was flawless. Not a very exciting item, but still handy and functional.

Made by the U-C-Lite Manufacturing Co, this is the "Big Beam No. 111". The light (some sources call it a lantern) is in great original condition down to even retaining its original bulb. Being only 6v it leaves a lot to be desired as far as light output goes, but it could probably survive a bomb hit or two. As far as I can tell the current version of this light (No. 166) is still in production by the same company (now called Big Beam) and more or less unchanged.
TWinbrook7

Key2871

You could probably run over that with your car and not hurt it. Have you looked into an LED for it? That would give way better lighting.

You don't find anything like that anymore, and it's in great shape.

Ken
KEN

Russ Kirk

That was the flashlight I used when I started with Pacific Telephone.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Key2871

Oh, nice memories. Cool find though.
KEN

19and41

U-C light?  How quaint.  The good thing about those lanterns is that the batteries were so heavily potted they seldom leaked.  I grew up near another manufacturer, Delta Electric, that among other things, made similar lanterns.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

Key2871: I have tried to get an LED for it, but between the bulb size and the 6v power source, I haven't had much luck. The bulb base is rather large, something you would see in say a car tail light, so there are LEDs out there but all in 12v.

19and41: Without the battery in it, the light falls on its face  ;D, these 6v batteries are heavy duty with an emphasis on being heavy.
TWinbrook7

Fabius

Quote from: AL_as_needed on January 19, 2019, 10:24:28 AM
Key2871: I have tried to get an LED for it, but between the bulb size and the 6v power source, I haven't had much luck. The bulb base is rather large, something you would see in say a car tail light, so there are LEDs out there but all in 12v.

19and41: Without the battery in it, the light falls on its face  ;D, these 6v batteries are heavy duty with an emphasis on being heavy.

Maybe put 4 D cell batteries in series to get 6 vdc? Tape batteries together and build something to keep them from moving in the battery compartment. Check amp-hour capacity of the original battery and compare it to the D cells.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

You could potentially "modernise" it with rechargeable Lithium cells, maybe even assemble a 3S pack (3x cells in series to make about 12V) to give the option of using automotive 12v LEDs... :)

I made up a 3S-3P (3x Series, 3x Parallel) pack using the cells out of an "expired" laptop battery of mine (cells are fine, the pack just hit an age barrier where the charger circuit said "Nope, I'm too old for this!" and refused to recharge) combined with a super cheap Lithium protection circuit, and it happily runs a dodgy chinese "12V" 2 Watt LED bulb (has to be nuts-on 12V, any higher and POP, cos china forgot the 10 Ohm resistor in the base!), very handy, more energy dense than a traditional lantern battery, and, for 99p and my old laptop battery, pretty darned cheap...  ;D

It's ugly, but it works... :)

AL_as_needed

I actually have a few bits and pieces I bought for such a battery conversion. Specifically a AA battery holder that holds eight of them has leads to solder into the circuit. I use AA energizer brand rechargeable lithium batteries for my flashlights at work (a mini-MagLight LED and a StreamLight Survivor LED) and they last a long time and really put out some juice despite being 1.2v vs 1.5 of alkaline.

I opted to keep the "Big Beam" in its original state for now as I really don't need another front line duty light. I had also read spec sheets from energizer on 6v batteries, and they last forever! Under regular use (4-6hrs) per day, they can run up to 250 hours in lights depending on the bulbs resistance. Even if mine is less than half of that, its still well over what my other lights can do.
TWinbrook7

Key2871

I have seen 12 volt bulbs that would fit that socket, but I never looked for six. I'll look around and see what I can find.
I also had an idea for retrofitting for a smaller size led bulb I have seen adapter things that get used in a larger socket, but again didn't pay much attention to them because I wasn't looking for that type of thing.
Is there just a center point on the bottom of that bulb, or does it have two. I'm thinking one, but to to make sure...
Edit, ad .. post the numbers on the lamp bulb base, I'll see if I can narrow my search..
Ken
KEN

AL_as_needed

Key2871:

It has a single contact at the bottom middle of the bulb, not like the hi-lo lights your thinking with dual filaments (like in a turn signal). I think its an R-12 base, the one with two pins directly across from each other for a push and twist installation.
TWinbrook7

Key2871

Right bi pin base, you think it's an R12. OK, because I found 6 volt bi pin led bulbs, just have to verify the size and one lump or two. Just because it has two doesn't make it a hight low, it's how the filament was wired to work. I'll check...

Do you think this is it? http://www.bulbtown.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=103642

If so now I'll try and find the led type.
KEN

AL_as_needed

That is more or less the same bulb, I have found 12v LEDs of that type but not 6v. The bulb that was original to the light was made by or for U-C-Lite, so only carries their bulb part number (160). This is easier than explaining it.... a nickel for size.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Single-pin Bayonet, at least that's what I call them... :)

AL_as_needed

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 19, 2019, 05:23:37 PM
Single-pin Bayonet, at least that's what I call them... :)

Yeah I said that to some kid (probably not much younger than me) at the local chain car parts store saying I needed on in 6v and it was like I had three heads  ::)
TWinbrook7