News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Big Beam Flashlight

Started by AL_as_needed, January 15, 2019, 07:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I find a lot of people these days haven't a clue when it comes to stuff like this when it comes to asking if they stock the right parts, unless it's a shop run by an old fella who can recall the location of every item of stock he has...

Key2871

Bayonet is another term. Bi pin means pins oposing.

OK, I looked high and low, but the lowest voltage for led bulbs is 12 volts in that size and type.
I found  6 volt but a much smaller size
KEN

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Key2871 on January 19, 2019, 06:17:48 PM
OK, I looked high and low, but the lowest voltage for led bulbs is 12 volts in that size and type.
I found  6 volt but a much smaller size

I had the same issue when I checked around. Seems 6v has become a real specialty item with only a select few lights using that voltage. Down the line I may just go with the earlier mentioned battery upgrade to get to 12v. That will give me more options within the bulb style/size.
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AL_as_needed

I found some 6v BA-15s style bulbs, are they comparable in size to R12?
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: AL_as_needed on January 19, 2019, 07:04:00 PM
I found some 6v BA-15s style bulbs, are they comparable in size to R12?

I think the BA-15 refers to the shape/style of the base and R12 refers to the shape of the bulb. I may be wrong. If so, you could have a BA-15 base with an R12 shaped bulb attached.

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

These look similar to the bulb you posted early in this topic. BA-15 bayonet base and an S-8 bulb shape.

Lot of options on Bulbs.com

AL_as_needed

Thanks john, that makes sense. I find that some retailers refer to either BA15 or R12 as the complete bulb without separating out that fact. Now we may have something! Back to SuperbrightLEDs.com
TWinbrook7

19and41

I've not had one apart, but we use a 6 volt lantern where I work.  The company that manufactures them is named Star.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Between the adapter using D cells and superbrightleds, your covered. It says that bulb is a 1156 that is a single pin and the base is larger than what I thought it would be.
But then again they also have 6 volt led bulbs, but I didn't look at the color specs. But they have some really bright bulbs at 12 volts.
KEN

Babybearjs

IF you want an LED for this, go to www.superbrightled.com they will probably have it.
John

AL_as_needed

I will be doing some shopping there soon once my OT comes in, superbrightleds.com is a great site once you know what to look for. Thank you all very much for the assistance on this one!

19and41

What do you use that lantern for at your work? Id think most places have phased the old 6v lights out long ago.
TWinbrook7

19and41

They're used to put in the operator's window at each end of a multi-car rapid transit train when in the berthing tracks in the rail yard.  It is a warning that there are personnel working on the train to prevent it's moving out.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

Ah yes, hence the blue color. My uncle worked (retired) for the MTA out of Harmon Yard and they had a similar light, just newer style and sealed with the rechargeable battery being built in. In the day time they would use blue metal flags hooked to the rail.
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

I saw 6 volt lantern batteries today at Home Depot. They were Everready and were $4.97.
They were on the bottom shelf of the battery end cap.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.