News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Services Booklet from 1954-55

Started by jsowers, February 26, 2010, 04:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Here are the last pages of the Services booklet.

services 22&23.jpg: This illustrates some of the switchboard options they offered.

services 24&25.jpg: This shows some of the explosion-proof phones they offered for hazardous areas. Also the elevator and outdoor phones are shown.

services 26&27.jpg: The range of bells is illustrated. The one on the right is a tone ringer similar to the later Bell Chime. Some of these bells look similar to the ones in my high school (built in 1953). We had something similar to the loudest bell shown that rang to signal class changes. It was like a foghorn, with a loud, long honk.

services 28&29.jpg: Buzzers, buttons and lights (sometimes called beehives) are shown. Also the teletype and an early mobile phone.

In today's light, most of these items seem quirky and odd, but they were revolutionary for the time, and engineered to work without failure.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

Very cool! Thanks for making this available to us ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Wallphone

Thanks for doing this Jonathan, much appreciated. I have converted all the pages to a PDF and stacked them so they are all together in one book. The file is just over 5MB so I'm not sure that Dennis would want me posting it here. But if anyone wants a copy PM me and I will either email it or use YouSendIt.

HarrySmith

Works great! Thanks for compiling that Doug!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Thanks Jonathan and Doug for putting those pages together.  Doug, if you'd like to host it on the Forum site go for it.

jsowers

Paul Fassbender, otherwise known as Mr. Eagle Eye, noticed that I didn't post all the pages from the booklet, so here are the leftovers in case someone wants them. They consist of the first two pages, which are mostly text, and the last page, which is an index of the pictures, and the back cover that says this was a rack service booklet for WE. I'm sorry I left these pages out!
Jonathan

paul-f

Thanks for the quick response, Jonathan.  As we discussed, I'll add the pages to the pdf and replace the copy in the TCI Library with the complete booklet.  It should be up later this afternoon, or possibly tomorrow morning.

The info on "Operation Sell" on pages 2 and 3 above really adds to understanding the history of that period.  Thanks for sharing the info.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

It's up.

Finally a project that was easier than anticipated.

Find it here:
   http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=3697&Itemid=2

or simply search for "Operation Sell"
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Babybearjs

great info! OPW need to do some 2 tone 500's.... they had them back in'55! why not now?? I love my version of those in my red and black 2564! straight colors get boring...
John

Jim Stettler

Gary Goff Referenced this post on the TCI Listsever
[TCI] Bell System Service Booklet, 1954-55
Inbox
__---------------------------------------------------

Gary Goff gary@rotarydial.info via groups.io
1:13 PM (57 minutes ago)
to TCI

Here are the facts about the 32 page booklet that Jonathan Sowers found long ago and scanned.  He provided this information to the Classic Rotary group.

The rainbow colored booklet is printed on the front:

The Phone services, For Sale, The Bell System's new sales program and W.E.'s part in it.

Here is a link to the booklet in the Classic Rotary group.  Click on it and you can scrool down and see the cover of the book, followed by scans.  The scans can be downloaded.  Although I have not looked it up in the TCI Library, REmco says it's there.

Western Electric Services Booklet from 1954-55

Gary
-------------------------------------------------
It is a nice feeling that forum resources are recognized.
In reality, most want-to-be collectors lurk around the forum. It is a polite discussion regarding telephones. And it is free.

My guess is that in current times, most new collectors surf the free sites before joining the clubs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Telephone talk you would call it the 'Spirit of Service', You take the extra step to ensure that needs are met.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.