News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial: Real or Repro?

Started by FABphones, March 06, 2020, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Seller not responding so no detail and no additional photos.

Can anyone give any info on this dial? Looks wrong to me.

Thanks.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius

Looks like a # 10 but the danish version had holes for moving the fingerstop closer to the one hole.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on March 06, 2020, 06:14:24 PM
Can anyone give any info on this dial? Looks wrong to me.

It is not a reproduction dial.

It looks like an ordinary No 10 with the finger stop mounted in the wrong spot. That configuration was meant for Rotary exchanges but very few operating companies used it.

The screw in the centre is wrong as well.

Is it really cheap? Most of the dial numbers are gone (is that enamel or an overlay?) and there is serious peeling on the base of the telephone. If it was stored in a well the insides might be a solid block of rust.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: rdelius on March 06, 2020, 07:59:29 PM
Looks like a # 10 but the danish version had holes for moving the fingerstop closer to the one hole.

All No 8 and No 10 dials had an alternative finger stop mounting position except for most of the Danish dials. Most of the Danish dials only had the one mounting position - the "wrong" one.

Jack

countryman

Quote from: Jack Ryan on March 06, 2020, 09:27:19 PM
It looks like an ordinary No 10 with the finger stop mounted in the wrong spot. That configuration was meant for Rotary exchanges but very few operating companies used it.

Just out of curiosity, how did that work? Just changing the position of the finger stop would mean that dialing a 1 does not make 1 pulse, but none or 2?

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on March 07, 2020, 02:40:04 AM
...how did that work? Just changing the position of the finger stop would mean that dialing a 1 does not make 1 pulse, but none or 2?

Good question. Now I really want to get that dial moving so I can test it out. ::)

Quote from: Jack Ryan on March 06, 2020, 09:27:19 PM
...It looks like an ordinary No 10 with the finger stop mounted in the wrong spot. That configuration was meant for Rotary exchanges but very few operating companies used it.

It is on a UK phone, but I was thinking the dial is not original to the phone. Where would that style 'operator' plate have been used?

Dial condition looks to be poor, am guessing it is enamel, flaked and almost certainly completely seized.

———-

Will keep you posted re any reply from seller.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on March 07, 2020, 02:40:04 AM
Just out of curiosity, how did that work? Just changing the position of the finger stop would mean that dialing a 1 does not make 1 pulse, but none or 2?

There were actually two changes, the finger stop position and the clutch stop orientation on the rear (sorry, I forget what the part is called).

The end result is the the inter digit delay is reduced by a pulse and the next digit could be dialled sooner. In other words, you could dial a number faster. In a lifetime you might save 2 and a half hours and watch an extra movie.

(The number of pulses per digit remained the same).

Regards
Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on March 07, 2020, 03:03:25 AM
Where would that style 'operator' plate have been used?

Perhaps Canada - hard to tell because of the dial's poor condition.

Jack

Quote from: Jack Ryan on March 07, 2020, 03:13:08 AM
Perhaps Canada - hard to tell because of the dial's poor condition.

Jack

Here is a close up picture of a #10 dial on a Canadian phone from the Manitoba Telephone System.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Duffy on March 07, 2020, 07:24:56 AM
Here is a close up picture of a #10 dial on a Canadian phone from the Manitoba Telephone System.

That's a later Canadian dial with a Q, earlier ones were without but I have changed my mind - it's a British dial.

It has the letter O with the digit 0 and MN with the 6. The French used that configuration but not that dial - it has to be British.

Jack

FABphones

Auction ended. I didn't buy it.  :)