News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

This topic SHALL NOT CONTAIN  POLITICAL COMMENT OR COMMENTARY.
ANYTHING/EVERYTHING POLITICAL WILL BE MODERATED OR DELETED
any member violating the nonpolitical policy TWICE will have their membership suspended.

The intent of this topic is to provide members first hand reports of what is happening with other members , what has happened, how things are going, what is being experienced and how members are being affected is acceptable.
Criticism and praise for any and all political actors and agencies will not be tolerated.

Moderators
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I work in facility maintenance  in Colorado Springs school district 11, I inspect, test and maintain 65+fire alarm systems.
We have around 26,000 students and 6,000 staff in over 4 million  square feet of facilities.
We are in El Paso county, CO. There are around 110,000 students in El Paso county schools.

In my community we  shut down all the  schools in El Paso county for at least 2 weeks.
This has added 1 early week to Spring Break to most districts. They intent is to "flatten the curve" and keep the local health care system from being overwhelmed.

In my district we are cleaning and sealing the sites. I am still getting paid and I am on call during normal work hours to respond to fire alarm issues during the shut down.

If I get a call out, I will be met, logged and screened before entry, I shall spend as little time as possible, and they will clean the area I was in after I leave.

This applies to all the facilities maintenance staff.

The local situation is being monitored and the closure may get extended if needed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

School district 11 is  providing 1 bag lunch per child 0-18 each school day. This is done at certain sites and will be done outside, like our Summer Lunch program.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, I am working on small home projects, I also plan on  cleaning up the garage and phone room.
If I get bored, It is a good time to search the forum and add cross-links and or photos to some topics.

Wash your hands, keep your distance keep  safe and stay socially responsible.
Jim

I should mention that they have postponed the Saint Patrick's day parade until September (1/2 way till next St. Pat's.
Most of the local churches are closed or are doing on-line services.
The grocery stores have reduced their hours for cleaning and stocking.

My wife went to Hobby Lobby yesterday to get craft stuff.
She said the scrap book aisle was full of women , and the model aisle was full of guys.
If you need to stay home, it is a good time to do the things you have been putting off.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Schools are closed until end of April. Boston Universities are sending students home and not to return from spring break. On Line classes.

St Patrick's Parade Day was cancelled and the Boston Marathon postponed to the Fall.

I am WFH, started Friday for at least six weeks.

Stressing hygiene as Jim said, wash your hands all the time. I have my grandsons doing Happy Birthday...twice. They cough and sneeze into their sleeve where their arm bends. Actually using a tissue!

Be kind. Don't hoard. Stay healthy....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Yea schools are closed after a staff person had found out the member of the family had it. I haven't been out in public for about four days, not really needing to go out.
But I keep distance from others who act like they have a cough, was my hands after being out etc.
Even take a shower and change clothes after being out.
I have respiratory issues so when I get a cold I get it good.
Vitamins are good to keep up on anyways especially during the cold and flu season anyway. My wife was a nurses aid and she's taking precautions as well.
But I'm looking forward to getting out in the sun and fresh air.
KEN

andre_janew

There are shortages of toilet paper and cleaning supplies.  In the apartment building where I live, we had the last pot luck supper we are going to have for a while just yesterday.  We normally have one every month, but the ones from April on are canceled until further notice.  Other than that, nothing has changed thus so far.

FABphones

Quote from: andre_janew on March 15, 2020, 04:02:08 PM
.... In the apartment building where I live, we had the last pot luck supper we are going to have for a while just yesterday.  We normally have one every month....

What is a pot luck supper?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Quote from: FABphones on March 15, 2020, 04:13:59 PM
What is a pot luck supper?

The potluck supper is where everybody brings one dish to share, and you end up with a feast.

dsk

FABphones

Quote from: Duffy on March 15, 2020, 04:20:51 PM
The potluck supper is where everybody brings one dish to share, and you end up with a feast.

Yum. I like that idea.  :D

FABphones

In France, gatherings are cancelled, none essential stores are to remain closed. Restaurants, Bars, closed. Large public events cancelled.

From what I have seen so far, the supermarkets are stocked well; the 'cheaper' brand store ran out of yoghurt, cream, pizza last week. This week very little pasta, rice and tomato juice. Another large supermarket just 1/2 km further down the same road had everything in stock both weeks. The pasta shelves were full to overflowing.

The only item not available anywhere I have looked is anti-bacterial hand gel.

dsk

New rules every day. Due to capacity problems in the health care you are not allowed to travel to your summer house or cabin, but stay in your home area. Everything collecting people are closed as bars restaurants etc. No massage, no physiotherapy, no haircut allowed. No visitors into institutions, strict control to enter hospitals, even emergency receptions. Only the patient no relatives.... Schools and universities are closed, internet education, work from home if you can.  The TV/Radio reporters do the interviews from a sudden distance, and with plastic on the microphone.  Many people in quarantine some in full isolation...  No foreign citizens may enter the border, except driver on trucks loaded with goods we need (as old telephones ??  ;D )

I believe its wise  to be careful, take care!
Greetings from Norway
dsk

Babybearjs

I heard today that SF bay area is closing down.... right... the heart of the silicon valley! are you crazy! oh well.... there goes your I-Phone prices!
John

Key2871

Well this virus is spreading like wild fire. People are not accustomed to staying home, so if they don't have it, don't take precautions etc. Then they too could become the next victim of this thing. Where I am in New Hampshire it's spreading to my area simply because people aren't doing what's asked of them.. Stay home, monitor your self etc.
School is closed in the entire state until at least mid April.
But from how things are looking it may be longer than that.so wash your hands using antibacterial soaps for at least 20 seconds. Limit your exposure. Restaurants are closed, bars are closed. Not that it matters to me because I tend to stay home anyway. But wow. Stay well everyone.
KEN

In Canada they are looking at temporarily recalling Parliament to bring in emergency economic measures and the Canadian government is also examining the Emergencies Act.

Province of Ontario has already declared state of emergency amid COVID-19 outbreak.

19and41

School is out, No inside dining at any restaurant (take away only), grocery stores are out of the staples and paper tissues, towels and roll paper.  The drug stores are out of over the counter cold preparations and are having great difficulty filling new cold or viral related prescriptions.  BUT GAS IS CHEAP!!!  $1.67 /gal today so now we can drive to the nowhere that any has anything to eat see take or buy.   ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke