News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Painting Phones

Started by Doug Rose, November 20, 2020, 08:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Sometimes no matter how hard you try, you cannot get a phone to naturally look good. They need a little help. I do have a pile of these.

I have always wanted color AEs but they shrink and usually price prohibiting.

This was painted Moss Green, not sure if it was actually an AE color, but I am very happy with it.

Chrome bands, chrome retainer (From Terry years ago) and the Chrome butler handle make this one sharp looking phone. Thanks to Ray for the parts to make a manual AE blank, they are so much more work than a WE.

I do love the manual sets!...Doug
Kidphone

countryman

That one looks perfect, would you mind to share some knowledge about preparation and paint type?

I've painted metal phones and liked the results but they did not come out as good as yours  ;)

Doug Rose

I can tell you preparation since I Do Not Paint!

Bakelite is easy I start with medium steel wool until it looks clean and smooth. Then I go over with fine steel wool. When finished I rinse the parts, dry and send them off to the painter. Preparation is key as paint will NOT cover a multitude of issues. Get it as smooth and clean as possible. A clean surface paint will adhere much better.

Poor prep gives you a poor paint job. It takes a lot longer to prep it than to paint it....at least I have been told that!  ::) ....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on November 20, 2020, 02:16:44 PM
...would you mind to share some knowledge about preparation and paint type?

Try here, Richard Rose:
https://www.ericofon.com/catalog/paint.htm

Richard usually announces his forthcoming paint colour runs here:
https://groups.io/g/singingwires/message/152678?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,Last+call,20,2,0,76545730
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble