News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE base label question

Started by Witty, February 12, 2021, 06:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

I have this WE candlestick with this label inside the base. It Seems like it was there at the start and to have been painted over at some point maybe during a refurb or change over. I've looked around and can't find any others with labels and was curious if any of you knowledgeable WE collectors might have seen one or know what it would have looked like? I always try to have as much knowledge about a piece as much as possible which is why I ask.
Thanks for any help!
Ken
Ken

HarrySmith

Maybe someone with a photo program can adjust the contrast and read it. I am at work and do not have that program. The only thing I can make out is the word "transmsitter". Hopefully we can figure this out. I am thinking maybe a signal corps label? Any other markings anywhere? How about some pictures of the rest of it. May help in identifying it further.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Could you post a photo of the phone?
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Witty

Ok, hopefully these photos come in ok. I've had trouble with the orientation of photos before so forgive me if it doesn't look right please.
Labels on the phone;
The transmitter is stamped 323BW at the top and date of Jan 14 1913
Base rim date goes up to May 7 18
Dial is 2AA, stamped on side is Western Electric Made in USA Pat App For
Perch is 50AL
Receiver is WE 144, with pat. number as shown
Ken

Witty

Here is a photo of the phone if that helps.
Ken

poplar1

It may say something like "This stand, when equipped  with transmitter, receiver, and cords is known as  1050-AL."

"50-AL" refers to the desk stand without transmitter, receiver, or cords. Just as D1 is the code for  the "handset mounting" only. Add handset and cords to a D1 to make a 102 or 202.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Witty

I realize they made many changes to phones back in the day but was hoping if I could figure out what the original label was it might narrow down what changes were made.
Ken

Witty

That sounds very reasonable. Am I correct in that the 4 conductor cord would have gone to an anti- sidetone connection?
Ken

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on February 12, 2021, 08:07:26 PM
It may say something like "This stand, when equipped  with transmitter, receiver, and cords is known as  1050-AL."

I think so too.

Jack

poplar1

Quote from: Witty on February 12, 2021, 08:09:34 PM
I realize they made many changes to phones back in the day but was hoping if I could figure out what the original label was it might narrow down what changes were made.
Quote from: Witty on February 12, 2021, 08:14:16 PM
That sounds very reasonable. Am I correct in that the 4 conductor cord would have gone to an anti- sidetone connection?

Other than removing the black paint outside, and painting over the label,  I don't see any changes.The 50-AL with 2A dial was made from about 1920 - 1926, when it was replaced by the 51-AL. Yours is fairly early since its last patent date is 1918 rather than 1920, and the dial has Pat. App. For.

Both 50-AL and 51-AL are sidetone and require a 3-conductor desk stand cord to the sidetone subset.

50-AL. 4-conductor dial cord and 3-conductor desk stand cord

51-AL 3-conductor D3B switch cord and 3- conductor desk stand cord.

151-AL 5-conductor switch cord and 4-conductor cord  (anti-sidetone)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Witty

Thanks poplar1
Your knowledge is so helpful and valuable. I learn a lot reading these posts.
I'll keep searching and try to find out the wording on the label. I have a friend that also does photo analysis and maybe she can do some magic with the label. Maybe I'll get lucky and find another phone with an original label.
I suspected the black paint was removed long ago. It shows a lot of age after being removed.
Thanks for everyone's help!
Ken
Ken