News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 D2993-G desk set, what was it used for?

Started by Witty, June 09, 2021, 09:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

Thanks Jim and Paul!
Looks like you guys have nailed it.
Paul,
I looked in the TCI catalogs but I don't think I would have ever found that one. Based on the table, my plug would be the 273A-6, with the old brass finish. I opened it up and realized the outside case is made of brass with the applied finish. Thanks for looking and finding it.
RD, it would be nice to tie it down to Heins Telephone, but maybe other companies used similar systems also?
That pretty much ties down everything else with this set I think.
As for the 50 cycle ringer, I have a feeling that might be hard to find.
Thanks again to everyone!

Ken
Ken

Doug Rose

Ken...I know nothing about ringers!!

This looks like the pic and has 50 on the back. Looks like it would match up to the screws.....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 12, 2021, 10:06:28 AM
This looks like the pic and has 50 on the back. Looks like it would match up to the screws.....Doug
Both this ringer and the one in reply #10 are Stromberg-Carlson. However, this one has longer coils and wider frame, as used in a St. Carl. 1243 or 1212.

The WE 251 (AB1 tel set mounting) used either a S-C harmonic ringer such as the one in reply #10, or a Kellogg harmonic ringer. Perhaps the D-2993 is an earlier version of the 251.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Witty

Thanks for trying Doug, I really appreciate it.
David makes a good point. From some past posts I've read, it sounds like many frequency ringers were replaced with straight line ringers so maybe they are out there somewhere.
I'll keep looking.

Ken
Ken

Doug Rose

Quote from: Witty on June 12, 2021, 12:32:48 PM
Thanks for trying Doug, I really appreciate it.
David makes a good point. From some past posts I've read, it sounds like many frequency ringers were replaced with straight line ringers so maybe they are out there somewhere.
I'll keep looking.

Ken
yw...I wish it had worked for you...Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: paul-f on June 10, 2021, 10:20:18 PM
Now it would be nice to find photos of more examples and a table of ringer frequencies that maps into the -G and -L suffixes, and that might indicate what other variations may be out there.

The suffix codes in this SC Catalog table from 1942 seen to match the -G (50 Hz) and -L (42 Hz) codes in the found sets -- and suggest some other variations to look for.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=SC+Catalog+Aug42+Sets
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Witty

Very good find there Paul!
It Looks like SC models all use the same suffix letter code for the various ringer model numbers, with A being the straight line ringers. It makes me think WE used the same suffix codes for independents, and maybe they have a code table somewhere that matches these. Would be nice to find one.
Is it possible most phone companies started using the same ringer code suffixes by this time?

Ken
Ken

paul-f

Quote from: Witty on June 12, 2021, 11:09:38 PM
Is it possible most phone companies started using the same ringer code suffixes by this time?

While anything is possible, I think it's unlikely that most would adopt the same standard suffix codes.

It's more likely that this series of sets was packaged with (or for) SC ringers for a large (possibly repeating) customer order.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Witty

Quote from: paul-f on June 13, 2021, 02:21:52 PM
It's more likely that this series of sets was packaged with (or for) SC ringers for a large (possibly repeating) customer order.

That does seem more likely. They might have just used the SC ringer suffix codes for all their independent orders requiring frequency ringers. That would make me think they had a code table somewhere for those type orders.

Thanks again for all your help!

Ken
Ken