News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pay Phone Telephone Western Electric RARE BROWN COLOR!

Started by Doug Rose, June 12, 2021, 08:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This beauty was on CL in Groton MA, about 45 minutes from me. Pics were not clear like these so I asked the seller if it was Brown.  I offered to purchase it it if it was Brown, finally he answered with a yes and that was it. This was first day of listing.

No answer to any of my emails. Yesterday I see it on eBay in NY for $429 with FREE Shipping. Yes NEW YORK!  eBay Seller confirmed it is the same payphone.

This is perplexing as shipping will be over $100.  ::)

Question, is Brown a tough color? I have never see one and this is in very nice condition.

Sometimes the bear bites you!...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124768112537
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 12, 2021, 08:44:58 AM
This beauty was on CL in Groton MA, about 45 minutes from me. Pics were not clear like these so I asked the seller if it was Brown.  I offered to purchase it it if it was Brown, finally he answered with a yes and that was it. This was first day of listing.

No answer to any of my emails. Yesterday I see it on eBay in NY for $429 with FREE Shipping. Yes NEW YORK!  eBay Seller confirmed it is the same payphone.

This is perplexing as shipping will be over $100.  ::)

Question, is Brown a tough color? I have never see one and this is in very nice condition.

Sometimes the bear bites you!...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124768112537

I saw that.
I think a factory brown would be rare.

The daisy wheel and shroud both appear painted to me. They could of done a better job masking the daisy wheel.
JMO,
JIm
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Yes, I saw that as well. Looked to be black then they painted it brown. I don't think they would have left the hopper in to paint it. They would have taken the base pan out so the phone could have been repainted a better job done.
And note the hole in the upper, that was a lamp at some point. But that didn't sell, so they did a shaker can brown paint job. The insides really scream amiture
I don't call that rare. I call it desperate.
KEN

Doug Rose

thanks guys.....I do appreciate the insight....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Appears to have black paint coming through the brown and uneven areas where paint has been applied without prepping.

Screenshots below, including the daisy wheel and hole to top.  :(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Yea if that were a company paint job, a lot of the things on the back plane would have been removed before paint.
Heck even I would have removed that stuff before painting.
And the late Paul Vaverchack told me he used 1/2" self stick circles to repair daisy wheels and they covered well.
That and a few other things just stick out like a sore thumb to tell anyone with some experience this is not a true color and wasn't painted by Western Electric.
Jmho.
KEN

Doug Rose

Quote from: Key2871 on June 12, 2021, 10:36:58 PM

That and a few other things just stick out like a sore thumb to tell anyone with some experience this is not a true color and wasn't painted by Western Electric.
Jmho.
Properly schooled
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

Must not be factory.  Never saw a brown pay phone.  Ever.

HarrySmith

Also the number ring on the dial does not belong there.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

Looks like it's better to find out about these things when it isn't yours, than to find them out after having bought it.  Sometimes fickle fate can be your friend.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Quote from: 19and41 on June 17, 2021, 03:17:49 PM
Looks like it's better to find out about these things when it isn't yours, than to find them out after having bought it.  Sometimes fickle fate can be your friend.
Agreed!!! I only saw one pic on CL ( the dial card was the giveaway) and wanted to see it to purchase it. It saved me two hours driving as a would have been left there unless purchased for considerably less for refurb...Doug
Kidphone