"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RTT 56A that won't ring with its original ringer

Started by RotoTech99, July 16, 2021, 07:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have an RTT 56A Kettle phone that I can't get the original ringer to work in it, and would like to
replace it with a ITT mini ringer and .47 mF, 250 VDC capacitor, but have no idea how to wire those in; I'm planning to use the terminals on the network to do it. I need help, please.

The Kettle phone is presently working, except for the ringer,I and is wired as follows:

Red line cord on (a)*, Green line cord on (c1), Green handset cord on (M)*, Yellow handset cord on (TR), and RED handset cord on (R). *A jumper strap goes between (a) and (M).

I'm using a AE  Type 38 handset with the original elements, which works well, and to me, looks good with it, (SEE PIC).

If the forum can please help, I will be happy to Thank them.

RotoTech99

Key2871

If it's a straight line ringer, one side of the ringer is line.
The other side line cap, ringer. When ring is provided it should work. Providing the the coils don't have an open.
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: RotoTech99 on July 16, 2021, 07:13:31 PM
...I'm using a AE  Type 38 handset with the original elements...

Can't assist re the ITT mini ringer but can't see a grounding button to front so should be a straight line ringer.

As an aside, if you do decide to change the handset, until you can find the correct one, an F1 will look more correct.
:)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25333.msg249706#new

I started that thread to point out how confusingly drawn the glued in diagram of these phones is. But with the answers it might help.
Imho the line should go to a and b. The jumpers between s and a , b and C2.
Also look at the pics in this thread:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4723.0

RotoTech99

Hi,  believe it or not,  i tried some F1 handsets with it,  they wouldn't fit the cradle; i guess my Kettle phone has a wider cradle thsn I thought,  and it appeared that the F1's handle was too wide to sit in the cradle.

That's why i used the AE Type 38 handset. I wasnt able to find the original handset
anywhere.

RotoTech99

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on July 17, 2021, 02:20:44 AM
Can't assist re the ITT mini ringer but can't see a grounding button to front so should be a straight line ringer.

As an aside, if you do decide to change the handset, until you can find the correct one, an F1 will look more correct.
:)

Actually, it's not an RTT56 so it should have an ATEA handset. Neither the RTT56 nor the ATEA Model 50 should have the transfers.

Jack

RotoTech99

Dear Jack Ryan:

Good Morning, wow I never would've guessed my phone is an ATEA Model 50; it has "Belgian Telephone Mfg. Co." decals on it,  and everyone I've talked with described it as a "Kettle phone".

The AE Type 38 handset I'm using fits the cradle nicely, better than the F1 which were too short lengthwise; yes,  I would like to find
the original handset but I tbink it wouldn't be likely in my case.

I was glad to figure out how to get it working, except for the ringer. Since the original one is not working I think using a retrofit ringer is the lesser of 2 🙈  evils for me.

I am going to look up what I can find out on the ATEA Model 50.

RotoTech99

countryman

The diagram of the ATEA 50 also is in the thread linked above.
The name "kettle phone" is ambiguous, I think it originated from the copper plated specimens that were converted for the decorator market.
It is the norm that those refurbishers mixed parts of ATEA 50 and RTT phones, some are interchangeable.
The handset does not look bad on the phone, until the original "hambone" can be found I'd leave it that way.
With the diagram(s) it should be possible to get the ringer to work unless a coil is bad.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: RotoTech99 on July 17, 2021, 07:14:04 AM
Dear Jack Ryan:

Good Morning, wow I never would've guessed my phone is an ATEA Model 50; it has "Belgian Telephone Mfg. Co." decals on it,  and everyone I've talked with described it as a "Kettle phone".

The decals usually say "Bell Telephone Manufacturing Co" and although some of the RTT56 telephones were made by BTMC (the ones with the B on the base), the decals are not original, they were added for the "decorator" look.

I think the "kettle phone" label comes from the handle and the squarish shape of the telephone. I think it is a recent description - not one that was coined during RTT service.

Regards,
Jack

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 17, 2021, 06:46:00 AM
...Neither the RTT56 nor the ATEA Model 50 should have the transfers.

Jack

The phone above had the decals when I purchased it. I removed them in seconds using toothpaste (a tip from another member here). Worked a treat and didn't affect the paintwork underneath.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 17, 2021, 06:46:00 AM
Actually, it's not an RTT56 so it should have an ATEA handset. ...

The terminal block sure looks like one of a RTT56. Possibly the shell of an ATEA was mixed with a RTT baseplate? This style of phones was made in a number of variations. This article by Jan Verhelst even suggests that the "Bell mfg." transfers are original to an export version made by BTMC. See illustration 11. It shows a shell with a handle though, the ATEA 50 came without. Are there holes to mount a handle on yours?

RotoTech99

Dear Countryman:

No, mine doesn't have that,and I've got some bad news on it.... The internal component plate got
tore up after I moved it to storage; Somebody recently got into my storage where I partially disassembled it to check something and set it aside, and ruined the component plate by cutting wires and tearing parts loose. I've no idea who, or why they did that.

So, I'm ending up needing another good internal plate with the ringer, dial cable, and electrical parts,
and no rust on the components.

I also saw my internal plate was heavily rusted.

My upper case, handset, and cords are good, So if I can get another internal plate I can most likely rebuild it; I'm hopeful the Forum can help, please.

Please let me know if you have or can find that.

RotoTech99

countryman

By chance I have such a base plate here in Germany, I got a lot of 2 RTT phones and one ATEA50 baseplate lately.
I'm afraid shipping will be the killer. I'll watch out what postage might cost and let you know.

Hopefully someone will turn up with replacement parts in the US, that would make things easier...

Edited to add pictures.

RotoTech99

Dear Countryman:

I know what you mean...I'm hoping someone here in the U.S. will have one; If you think of or have somebody you know over here that might be able to help, see what you can do, please.

As this is a "fresh topic", maybe an answer will filter through.

Thank you,
RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Hi, Countryman:

I replied to your personal message you sent, that sounds very good, I'll go for that.

I also need a dial cable with lugs on it as well.

Thanks,
RotoTech99