News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a Siemens Dial?

Started by Doug Rose, July 27, 2021, 11:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This dial came on a NE #1. I seem to remember that some came with a Siemens dial. This is a loud dial in really nice shape.

Is it a Siemens??...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

It is a British GPO dial which may have been made by Siemens of one of the other manufacturers.  The number plate has the North American lettering scheme.  According to what I read, some telcos in Canada used British switches, so they equipped their phones with GPO dials, which have a different make/break ratio (I learned about that decades ago while working for US Robotics, the modem company), so that they would work properly with the switches.  Since the dials were used in Canada, they have the North American lettering on the number plates.  The British scheme has only 'M' and 'N' on the '6'.

Larry

Doug Rose

thanks Larry....I do appreciate you input...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Add a photo of the reverse, should be numbers/lettering to help us date it etc.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 27, 2021, 11:18:41 AM
This dial came on a NE #1. I seem to remember that some came with a Siemens dial. This is a loud dial in really nice shape.

As @LarryInMichigan has said it's GPO type dial - a No10 if GPO labelled. What do you mean when you say it's loud, as it shouldn't be if it's working correctly?

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on July 27, 2021, 11:58:29 AM
As @LarryInMichigan has said it's GPO type dial - a No10 if GPO labelled. What do you mean when you say it's loud, as it shouldn't be if it's working correctly?
It spins and returns as it should. On recoil, it is louder than any US dials I have. I thought is was kind of cool!...Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 27, 2021, 12:49:20 PM
It spins and returns as it should. On recoil, it is louder than any US dials I have. I thought is was kind of cool!...Doug
Probably needs some light lubrication on the governor bearings as they often get very dry.

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on July 27, 2021, 02:15:50 PM
Probably needs some light lubrication on the governor bearings as they often get very dry.
I did that but it is still loud, but not overbearing...thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 27, 2021, 11:18:41 AM

It is likely a Siemens Brothers dial - it should be marked somewhere.

Siemens Brothers designed and manufactured that dial (actually the No. 8 ) as a replacement for the dials that were previously used by the GPO and other jurisdictions (AE Mercedes, SB No 3, WE 7001, RATCo). It was subsequently accepted as a standard dial by the GPO, PMG, NZPO, IPO, several middle eastern jurisdictions, Norway, Japan, parts of Canada and many others. In the UK, other manufacturers were licensed to manufacture it for the GPO.

Jack

Doug Rose

Kidphone

countryman

Are all these GPO dials 80 mm in diameter, as opposed to American 76 mm (3") standard?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on July 28, 2021, 02:14:41 AM
Are all these GPO dials 80 mm in diameter, as opposed to American 76 mm (3") standard?

The GPO used these dials as did many others and yes, they are about 80mm is diameter (finger wheel). The GPO standardised on this size when it standardised on the Siemens No 8 dial. Prior to that, several smaller dials were in use including the AE Mercedes dial and the BTMC 7000 series dial.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on July 28, 2021, 02:14:41 AM
as opposed to American 76 mm (3") standard?

As a matter of interest, not all American dials were 3". By the time the WE 500 was released, most had moved to 3" but the 500 dial was larger and many of the princess type dials were smaller.

Jack