stopthemachine's 701B SOFT Plastic Princess "9-59" for $24.50
5 (27.8%)
jsowers NOS ivory soft plastic 554 3-59 still in the box $20.50
6 (33.3%)
stopthemachine's Black WE 1955 510 $35 Incl. Shipping
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

cihensley@aol.com

As suggested by Dennis, here are some pictures of the my 1957 pink princess trial phone. The trial phone is well described in Paul F's Web site, at the URL he posted above. I learned features I was not aware of.

Chuck

Doug Rose

Chuck...that is amazing. What is your history with the phone....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Wow Chuck, that is one beautiful phone.  It looks pristine as they say.  It appears that it has been well cared for all these years.

cihensley@aol.com

Doug - I purchased the phone about 15+ years go from Larry Wolff. I didn't ask where he had obtained it.

Chuck

stopthemachine

It's funny that the Pink Princess phone is currently the talk on this message board because, just today, I got a 701B Pink Princess phone in the mail that I'd recently purchased on eBay for $34.99 with s/h of $9.65: http://tinyurl.com/63ko8dq

It has the same oddly vague markings as Jim's phone phone from 7/59 (notice that "Princess" isn't engraved on mine but STAMPED on the phone as almost an afterthough)--it was refurbed "12-61," but when the refurb date was added, "Bell System The Princess Phone" was stamped on.  I have a feeling that the only "refurb" this phone had was the lead weight added in the base because that's the only without dates from "8-59"--in fact, either the receiver or transmitter element is dated from '58.  I'll have to check if the handset is pink plastic or not, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw all the "7-59" parts in the phone.  Even the color is nice, overall...with the exception of the handset cord. 

Another odd thing--check out all the leads in the phone; I even see a purple one!  Even the guts look different (to me) than the average Princess, even different than the average 701B model, from what I remember.  I'll post pix soon of the insides.

Dan

Doug Rose

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on February 25, 2011, 06:13:06 PM
Doug - I purchased the phone about 15+ years go from Larry Wolff. I didn't ask where he had obtained it.

Chuck
Its a beauty, sure is different...Doug
Kidphone

stopthemachine

It would help if I added pix for the board!  Haha. 

Jim Stettler

I have a pink  w/ R1061 stamped the same way.
My white 6/60 hase the engraving, the base "footpad" is different tho. The footpad is the same style as the 1959.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Are their any more nominations for FEbruary. Only 1 day left to add your nomination.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

GG

Chuck, I don't see a varistor across the terminals on your receiver.  First time I've ever seen a U1 element w/o a varistor, on a phone as-issued.  Normally the U1 has a "tin can" varistor, and the later U3 has a "green blob" varistor.    I'm wondering if it's possible that WE put the varistor inside the set, but that would be a complete change from normal.  Or it's possible that a receiver element made it through manufacturing minus the varistor, as a manufacturing error. 

In any case, if you want to use that phone and it hasn't got one, you should add one yourself by connecting two ordinary 1-N-914 diodes, back to back in parallel, across the receiver terminals.  Better safe than sorry, since acoustic transients could damage the receiver otherwise. 

stopthemachine

Has the voting begun yet for February?

Adam

Quote from: GG on February 28, 2011, 08:01:43 AM
I don't see a varistor across the terminals on your receiver.  First time I've ever seen a U1 element w/o a varistor, on a phone as-issued.  Normally the U1 has a "tin can" varistor, and the later U3 has a "green blob" varistor.    I'm wondering if it's possible that WE put the varistor inside the set, but that would be a complete change from normal.

The whole phone is a complete change from normal!  Check out the phone's guts, there's nothing standard inside at all!

That was a good catch, tho, GG.  Perhaps the varistor IS inside the phone instead of the handset.  There's something in the phone guts that looks like it could be one.  Do you think this is it?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

AE_Collector

Okay, that's it for contestants for the February 2011 "Find of the Month". The Poll is now open.

I haven't included any of the early Princess Phones posted here other than stopthemachine's as they weren't recent finds and didn't include prices. They were posted here to add to the discussion around stopthemachine's 9-1959 701B Pink Princess.

Terry

GG

Masstel, if there are any candidates for varistors in that set, I'd say the two dark grayish-greenish flat discs seen above the network board, just beyond the hookswitch. 

However, to be safe, add the dual diode assembly at the back of that earpiece.  A U1 or U3 receiver element without protection can get damaged easily, so better safe than sorry.

And yeah that does look like a field trial set or something other than a standard production run, because there's so much "stuff" inside that isn't protected and looks pretty random. 

AE_Collector

Quote from: AE_collector on February 04, 2011, 09:11:43 PM
Please post your February 2011 "Finds of the Month" nominations here.  Thank you!

Okay that 's it for February 2011's "Find of the Month". Thanks for all the nominations.

Looks like Jonathan cleans up this month with his New In the Box 3-59 Soft Plastic WECO 554. Nice find Jonathan! And nice find to all the other contestants this month too. Don't ever quit looking (unless of course you are out of room like most of us here on the Classic Rotary Phones forum).

Voting Results: # of Votes & (Percentage of total vote)
Kidphone's 3/30 B1 for $89 - ebaY   3 (16.7%)
AdamAnt316's AutoVON adjunct - $10 at a flea market    4 (22.2%)
stopthemachine's 701B SOFT Plastic Princess "9-59" for $24.50   5 (27.8%)
jsowers NOS ivory soft plastic 554 3-59 still in the box $20.50   6 (33.3%)
stopthemachine's Black WE 1955 510 $35 Incl. Shipping   0 (0%)
Total Voters: 18