"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stan Schreier's Payphone Controllers

Started by DavePEI, January 13, 2013, 03:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Hi All:

Most payphones can be used, at least with minor modifications as a normal phone, to make calls on a POTS line. But if you want to give a more realistic demonstration, you might want to consider a payphone controller, which will require you to deposit coins to make a call.

Everyone tells me that one of the best controllers made for 3 slot phones is manufactured and sold by Stan Schreier. It will work with most 3 slot telephones, and with limitations, on WE and AE single slot phones.

Stan noted that on a single slot phone, that it must have the original coin relay in it (1000 ohm approx. WE, AE, or NE), and that since the totalizer is bypassed,  it will allow calls no matter what coin if deposited, 5, 10 or 25 cents. Otherwise, it is functional with single slots.

On a 3 slot phone, all normal functions will be enabled.

Stan sells these via eBay, see:

http://myworld.ebay.ca/gray-western/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Dave

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Some comments from Stan in reply to my inquiring if he would mind my putting a copy of his documentation here:

"Dave

Sure, that's fine.  The controller project was a labor of love.  It also
gave me something to do with my engineers head (for a little while).  I
don't care what anyone says, retirement stinks!

As far as the GTE 120A/B goes, as long as the payphone has a set of
contacts that puts 1000 ohms between the 'ground' (yellow lead) and the
'tip' (green lead) going to the coin relay when the initial deposit is made
the controller will work.

One nice feature which I didn't mention with regard to single slots is
that the controller gives you the option of 'dial tone first' or 'coin
first' operation.  In 3-slot lingo Western/Northern or Automatic Electric
dial tone acquisition.

There is one small problem with it however. If the payphone has an
internal ringer it won't work. The controller lifts both sides of the line
until the initial deposit is made. You either have to use an outboard ringer
or separately wire the internal ringer and its blocking capacitor to the
line with a second cable. So far that's been the only fly in the ointment.

All in all, not a bad little device.

Regards
Stan
"

Here is the PDF copy of the file Stan sends out to his customers:
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Very good info Dave. Good topic.

I wonder if when Stan refers to the AE 120A if he means the AE line of Single Slot Payphones (120A and 120B) or specifically just the 120A?

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 13, 2013, 08:22:04 PM
Very good info Dave. Good topic.

I wonder if when Stan refers to the AE 120A if he means the AE line of Single Slot Payphones (120A and 120B) or specifically just the 120A?

Terry
Both, as long as they have the original relay. Stan tells me that even if they don't, eg. are converted to COCOT with new relay, all one needs to do is install a 1000 ohm relay coil in the place of the low voltage coil and it will work with the controller. Bear in mind, to the phone with any single slot, a nickel, dime, or quarter will all be the same to the phone, and any of them will allow a call.

In a recent email, Stan suggests the following:

"Regarding the controller and cocots.  The coil bobbins in all the coin
relays seem to be the same size. At least the ones I've seen and used.  In a
cocot with a coin relay that was designed for low voltage (12V) you can
dismantle the relay and put in a coil that's 1000 ohms from a Western 1A.
Although the bobbins of the coil are identical the mechanics aren't so it's
a simple way to make the situation universal
."

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Obviously you don't have one of these controllers (yet) Dave. How much longer now? :)

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 13, 2013, 09:18:33 PM
Obviously you don't have one of these controllers (yet) Dave. How much longer now? :)

Terry
Hi Terry:

If only I could afford 7 or 8 for the payphones I have. Even to have one on one of my phones in the museum would be nice, but unfortunately, having been forced into retirement early, I have to watch my expenses! They are neat, though! :)

Imagine going up to a 3 slot, having to insert the correct coinage, and dialing just as though it was on a pay line with the coin return and everything working! The only thing you wouldn't have is the operator coming on line for long distance calls. These really are slick controllers!

For those who don't know Stan, he is a long time collector, and an ex-engineer, and has designed several payphone controllers over the years, each which out-did the others in terms of technology and function. He is an eBay seller with 100% positive ratings. I highly recommend him.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Jim Stettler

These are a great gadget. Besides working as a 3 slot line simulator, you can use the controller as a diagnostic tool when you are trying to return your 3-slot to an unmolested state.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

DavePEI

I received a much appreciated surprise in the mail today - a payphone controller built and sold by Stan in 1996. They are no longer available, due to the cost of manufacturing and due to the fact many parts are now unavailable, but Stan had one which he had used in his plant years ago to control payphones there and sent it on to control the payphones in the museum.

Now, the advantage of this one, is it will work with multiple phones - perfect for display purposes in the museum. It will work with any pre-pay phone, and will work with single slots supporting whatever base rate is set by the phone's totallizer. This one completely emulates the functions and timing of a normal coin line including refund. It operates coin first, meaning in order to get dial tone, you have to insert the base rate. This was the system used in the 50s before the gradual change over to tone first introduced by AE to allow operator calls coin free.

As with the newer controllers, phones connected have to be operational as payphones, and on this one route to the Tip, Ring, and Ground in the controller. The controller is capable of collect, and return operations, and may be used as a payphone test unit as well.

Unfortunately cost of manufacture has made it impossible to produce more, but if you keep an eye on eBay, you may see one of them on on rare occasions. It is much larger than the current crop, largely due to the hefty power supplies vs. batteries in the new ones.

I will be able to operate all of the pre-pay phones in the museum with this one! Thank you Stan! Wow!

Photos below:

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

I tried this controller out testing a spare Centurion coin relay I had in our house today. Worked like a charm! Can't wait for it to warm up so I can connect it to museum phones!

The way I did it, was to connect a 500 set to ring and tip, and then the relay to tip and ground. I took the set of hook and there was no dial tone. I then threw a coin in the hopper, and it gave me my dial tone. When I hung up the phone, shortly the relay reset.

I was glad to find out later in the evening from an email from Stan, confirming that I did it the right way - essentially, I was simulating a payphone by doing this. Until I heard from Stan, who replied after seeing my post on the test, I really wasn't sure I had done it correctly. Stan told me that had I could also have tried refund, but I didn't do that.

Alas, in the winter, the museum isn't heated, and it is minus 18 c., minus .4 f. Cold wind chill minus 31 outside, so setting it up on the museum's payphones just wasn't an option at the time. Just to show you how cold it is, I had to go over to the museum, and bring over a metal item for packing for Terry, and before I got back to our door, it had frozen to my bare fingers :'(

However, this shows me that when the weather warms up some, I should have no problem when I go to connect it to the museum payphones! Hurry up, spring!

Thanks again, Stan!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

johnnyjt

Yes, I definitely recommend Stan's Coin Controller.  I just love it and remember
you can connect all the WE or AE you like which ever setting of dial tone as long
as you use 1 phone at a time.
Stan is definitely The Man.   ;D

JohnnyJT     8)
South Philly

DavePEI

Here is an example of Stan's earlier controller in use in the museum. Currently, it is only hooked up to the new NE233QF (chrome, shown in the photo), but compatible with, and will be also hooked up to 8 out of ten payphones in the museum....

Stan is no longer making this version, but if you ever get a chance to snatch one up on the used market, do so, as they with its beefier power supply, it will work with multiple phones, and also with single slot phones.

With this phone, you put two nickels in it, or a dime, and you get dial tone. Dial a number, and if there is no answer, the coin is returned. If the number answers, it will collect.

I will have to put a notice beside this phone and any others hooked to the controller that it will indeed eat their change, as any self respecting payphone should :)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

I have had a couple ask me about the other phones showing in the photo above. Starting at the left and moving towards the right, they are as follows: Payphone Controller,  a Western Electric 1D2 single slot payphone, Automatic Electric GTE 120B single slot payphone, the new to me Northern Electric NE233QF and ringer, and above it the museum wireless access point, a Norstar M 7208 phone, part of the museum incoming Norstar 6x16 telephone system, and on the lower right, a Lucent 2520B Explosion proof set.

This part of the museum I laughingly dub the "playroom". It has a number of telephone systems, including line simulators and the Panasonic KX-T61610 KSU, the NE 1317 switchboard, AE 11 digit phone, and many 500, 2500, 554, 2554 variants, mostly connected to one of the simulators or the KSU. This area can amuse kids for hours while their parents view the rest of the museum.

To prevent long distance calls, the payphones here operate into the Panasonic KSU.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

timmerk

I see Stan has released a 2017 model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Mini-Coin-Controller-For-Your-Antique-3-Slot-Payphone-/302184288884

?hash=item465b965274:g:OmQAAOSwZQRYacUR

But the auction doesn't seem to indicate what has changed (unless I'm just missing it.) Anyone know?

DavePEI

Quote from: timmerk on January 02, 2017, 01:56:49 PM
I see Stan has released a 2017 model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Mini-Coin-Controller-For-Your-Antique-3-Slot-Payphone-/302184288884?hash=item465b965274:g:OmQAAOSwZQRYacUR

But the auction doesn't seem to indicate what has changed (unless I'm just missing it.) Anyone know?
Stan is active here on the Forum - hopefully he will jump in and detail the changes...
C*NET 1-651-0001

Butch Harlow

Stan's controller is great. I have had the 2017 model here for a month or so, and love it. On the first day, I probably jammed through 30.00 into my payphone. What's even better than the controller itself is Stan's expert instruction and support. I had a bit of trouble getting mine to work due to internal issues with my phone and Stan was there every step if the way until it worked. If you don't have one of these already, I highly recommend it. Move over sliced bread, there is a new boss in town.
Butch Harlow