News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Before I left home (on vacation in Turkey and Egypt), Costco was again normal: Lysol spray, Clorox wipes, rubbing alcohol, latex gloves (all sizes), toilet paper and paper towels.

Turkey has been interesting: the country is in a lockdown through Sunday, but foreign  tourists are permitted to travel and visit sites, museums, etc. (at least what's open). Grocery stores are open 10-5 (except Sunday), few other stores are open.  You can't buy alcohol (wink, wink), not anything not "essential".  Stores have tape across the items you can't buy. Today (first day of Eid after Ramadan) is a holiday and very little is open.   At times, it feels like my travel buddy and I are the only two people in a post-apocalyptic world...

We'll see what Egypt is like next week...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

FABphones

France:

Much currently remains closed including restaurants, events, public venues.
Nightly curfew of 7pm.
Tape in stores (or plastic sheeting) to cover none essential goods. However, none essential goods can be ordered online and collected in some stores as a 'click and collect' purchase.

Bizarrely, to me anyhow - trainers, shoes, clothing (inc children's items and undergarments) appear to be not considered essential. Shoppers can however purchase football themed bunting.  :o
And here we were, wondering how to manage without it.....   ::)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

One other thing, There is a local store chain that specializes in excess inventories that has thousands of liquor bottles of ethyl alcohol With a denaturing agent added for sanitizing hands.  Wonder how fast the stuff would sell had it not been doctored?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

countryman

Sanitizing hands and objects has proven inefficient, the virus goes through the air directly from human to human. You still can use the denatured alcohol as fuel or for cleaning telephones.
"Here" (Germany) numbers weren't as high as in a couple of other countries but increased alarmingly though. They seem to drop slowly the last couple of days. Hopefully the vaccination campaign which is in full swing now will address the issue soon.
Supermarkets and drugstores are open, as well as gardening stores and the agricultural supply business. They usually sell their normal range of goods. No tapes.
I'm envious when I read about telephone shows starting over in America - no way to even think of a similar event "here".
Tomorrow morning I will collect a cabinet for my son's room from IKEA. I've learned from this thread that the term "click and collect" is also used internationally and is not one of those false anglicisms that run rampant in the German language :-)

TelePlay

No more face diapers in my area.

As soon as Walmart/Sam's dropped the requirement, all other grocery stores did it as well.

Same thing for hardware/home improvement stores, gas station convenience stores, bars and restaurants.

People can still wear them if they want to but seems only 5% or so are still doing so.

Key2871

Lol, Face diapers. That's a new way to describe a mask.
I went in a bank just before the virus, and a sign said no hats dark glasses or masks permitted.
I'm guessing they removed that sign, or at least reworded it.
KEN

compubit

Now that I'm back in the US, we're practically in pre-pandemic mode here in DC.  I'm not sure about restaurant/bar capacities, but most restrictions have been lifted - even my rugby team can now do contact practice.  The local vaccinated percentage is over 50%, and cases are dropping.

Egypt seemed like business as usual - very few masks, restaurants were open, traffic was insane.

Now the biggest concern is cicada carcasses...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!